su doesn't work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgluckca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: su doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi

I'm having a problem with su. If I log in as any user, including root, and try to su to any other user , after a few seconds I get " permission denied". I know the passwords are correct but on other system when you su and the password is invalid, it says the password is invalid and lets you try agian.

This may somehow be related. I have the newest version of KDE. When I try to login as root, it says root logins are not allowed.

Using mozilla, if I try to create a cups printer, I will be asked for a user and password. I type in root for the user and then the password. Voila! it's accepted and I can create the printer.

Anyone have an idea for any of these problems.

BTW sudo works and if I login as root for a console (no X or KDE) then I can log in as root.

TIA

John
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the FAQ Forum entry regarding su?

For KDE/root logins, using a GUI as root is insecure, so KDE probably doesn't allow it.

As for the cups issue, root access is required to create the printer, which is why it works after entering root/password.
jgluckca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...

I didn't see the su thing in faqs the first time around. Guess my glasses were dirty 8O That must be a gentoo mod since being a member of whell isn't necessary on any other unix/linux I've tried.

As far as kdm goes... That must be a Gentoo mod to KDE since it's always worked with the straight sources I compiled from kde.org

The why I could do it through mozzilla (login as root) is fuzzier than ever in light of the su thing. :?:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgluckca wrote:
I didn't see the su thing in faqs the first time around.
Could be because two letters aren't sufficient as a search term. Or that you just didn't see it when browsing :D

jgluckca wrote:
That must be a gentoo mod since being a member of whell isn't necessary on any other unix/linux I've tried.
I was under the impression that it is a common usage.

jgluckca wrote:
As far as kdm goes... That must be a Gentoo mod to KDE since it's always worked with the straight sources I compiled from kde.org
KDE should be compilig with vanilla sources. Gentoo doesn't add, remove or theme programs like other distros. There may be some minor usability exceptions (IIRC, vim). I don't use KDE, so I'm not familiar with the error/message.

jgluckca wrote:
The why I could do it through mozzilla (login as root) is fuzzier than ever in light of the su thing. :?:
I don't think making the change in CUPS uses 'su,' so I don't think they are related.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: