View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Disappearing desktop? Reply with quote

Having recently re-installed gentoo from a set of "original" discs, I'm in the middle of doing the
Code:
emerge --update --deep world

Having also recently started networking a W98 laptop, and not having setup SAMBA yet, I had to stop the emerge process to be able to print off a document for "er indoors", and when I restarted the gentoo install, I'm getting X failure.

The /var/log seemed to indicate that it couldn't find the speedo fonts "module"? or the keyboard module. I tried changing the keyboard identifier from logicpd (I think it was) to pc105 but that didn't seem to make any difference, it still seems to be missing the keyboard/corekeyboard module (I commented out the references to "speedo" fonts)

Would anyone know how I'd get round this please ??

regards

John

p.s. Just in case this is something to do with the updating process, I've resumed the " emerge --update --deep world " while I'm at work today :?:
Rcomian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem on my laptop a few days back. I didn't track down the root cause, but I'm sure it's something to do with updating X. I also found that downgrading X made it work agian. I believe (although I haven't confirmed) that the standard config file which you can tweak to configure your system doesn't set the module path. This appears to cause a problem with later Xorg implementations.
I got around it by doing an "X -configure", for me, the resultant config file was perfect - even used my real nvidia drivers, so I just use that now.

So give it a go reconfiguring X. Or at least make sure there's a correct ModulePath statement in your xorg.conf.
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes OK Rcomian, I've done that and it's come back fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did wonder if there was anyway to sort it out, but never mind it's up and running for the momentl

regards

John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: