Call of Duty Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Call of Duty Problems Reply with quote

I just built a new system and after playing nothing but q3a and et for a few weeks I decided to install Call of Duty. I installed it with the installer found on loki installers for linux games. Since this is a brand new system with top of the line hardware I put everything on max and put the audio settings for the audigy 2 since I have one. The first issue came up shortly after playing, it was VERY laggy, about 3-10 fps. I added to my command -use-pthreads no since I was getting the following error when starting the game

Quote:

Your system requires the use of pthreads but the maximum system allowed stack size of 2052 kB may be too small for some games.
If you experience problems, try rerunning with "-use-pthreads no" which may help.

Everything was now working fine now, I started to play the singal player agien just to get refreshed with the game. After beating the first level and moving onto the second the game become VERY laggy agien. The only way I can fix it is by quitting the game and going back into it. After beating a few levels I went to play multiplayer, of cource on a punkbuster enabled server because I hate cheaters. I then kept getting kicked because punkbuster said "Insufficient O/S Privileges" When I looked this error up on the punkbuster web site they say this

Quote:

I keep getting kicked by PunkBuster for "Insufficient O/S Privileges". Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective in Win2k/XP Pro?

Yes (under Win XP Pro or Win 2K). This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game. To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer. You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges. If the user is logged in while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

* Debug Programs
* Load and unload device drivers
* Manage auditing and security log
* Modify Firmware environment values
* Profile Single Process

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click "OK". Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click "OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

Is there anyway for Linux users to get around this?

Here are my system specs
CPU: AMD 64 3500+
MOBO: Asus A8V
Video Card: Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 zs Platinum
Kernel: 2.6 Vanilla
Wine: Cedega 4.1-1
Note: Everything on here is 64bit with the 32bit emu libs installed and the few apps that are only 32bit

Any help to fix these problems would be greatly appreacated.

Thanks

nuke[/quote]
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried wine? I can run it fine here for hours without any performance problems or punkbuster issues.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnt tryed wine because my system is all 64bit and I dont have the 32bit partition setup to compile 32bit apps. Winex/cedega has always work really well with this game so I was hoping to stick with it. Anyway I posted a bug report on the punkbuster website if your interested you can read it here.
AliceDiee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Have you tried wine? I can run it fine here for hours without any performance problems or punkbuster issues.

Thats interesting. Which wine-version are you using, did you modify anything in the wineconfig?
I remember that I got it working some time ago, but atm it stops loading after the COD-Logo using wine-20041019 and the loki 1.4 installer.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using cedega 4.1-1. Call of Duty used to work for me as well but starting in Punkbuster version 1.085 Punkbuster requires Call of Duty to run under admin in Win 2k/XP. This is because now punkbuster does a few calls in windows to see what other apps are up and what they are doing in memory. The full explination to that can be found here.

AliceDiee: I have no modified my wine config at all. Try loading Call of Duty with ./codmp in the game dir that the loki installer put in. I dont get the COD-Logo with that, though I used to.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thats interesting. Which wine-version are you using, did you modify anything in the wineconfig? I remember that I got it working some time ago

wine 20040716

my x11drv options:
Code:

[x11drv]
"Managed" = "y"
"UseDGA" = "Y"
"UseXShm" = "Y"
"DXGrab" = "Y"
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"
"TextCP" = "0"

nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new nvidia drivers have fixed the drop in frame rate problem. Now my frame rate is fine.
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys saying that wine (not WineX/Cedega) supports all features needed to play COD or COD United Offensive? How is that? Isn't Call of Duty based on directX?
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoD (and the demo of uninted offensive) works fine on wine, mostly because its an OpenGL game and winex/cedage is meant for direct3d games
However, I played CoD fine in singleplayer and played online for a while some time back (punbuster worked fine then), but I dont know if it still works with punkbuster
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Gotta try then.
What a pity my "real" computer got damaged saturday...

BTW united offensive is leaps funnier online than the original, since you can "sprint" and there are more weapons and faster rifles available for any nationality, and that there are tanks and jeeps you can use!

Happy gaming
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannt play online anymore with punkbuster. PB kicks you for a corrupt kernel32.dll and PB will not support any type of emulation software. Your best bet is to get cedega/wine to support punkbuster.
sgtrock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one who has filed a bug report with EvenBalance. Here's a link to a poll that I opened in the Transgaming forums.

Please, everyone who has experienced this problem, open a ticket with Even Balance and record it in the poll! Let's let both companies know we would like to see this problem resolved.
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Newcastle, Australia. 7487 miles south-west of America.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report filed.

Quote:
Ticket Number: EB4904000005515
Ticket Status: New
Created: 2004-12-18 06:42:42.439804-05
Contact Information
Name/Nickname: BlastM
I am writing as a: Player
E-mail: ** PROTECTED **
Game Information
Game: cod
Game Mod:
Game Version: 1.4
Computer Information
CPU Type: AMD 64
CPU Speed: 1800 MHz
RAM Memory: 512 MB
Operating System: Linux - Kernel 2.6
Video Card Type: GeForce 6800
Video Card Driver Version: NVIDIA x86 6629
Network Information
Network Speed: DSL/Cable 256Kbps
Router: Billion Bipac 711CE
Issue: Any attempt to join an online, Punkbuster-enabled Call Of Duty or United Offensive game, using Wine to run it in Linux (which otherwise runs fine), results in a kick or ban from the server and reports the error "Inadequate O/S privileges".

Wine CVS version 20041019
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive already done that. They basicly say that if the game does not support Linux they dont.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: