various problems after reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lacrymology
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: various problems after reboot Reply with quote

followed the handbook and went all the way to reboot. reboot and

1) GRUB doesnt show. It works, it waits the 20 sec and then my gentoo starts loading, and starts loading if I press enter, but all I see is a black screen with a cursor tilting
2) the screen is wrong. Very badly print and the whole screen is like a rectangular grid made of little dots. Dont know how to explain this better
3) bash: mount command not found

just tried booting with the liveCD and chrooting, and mount is actually not there, so I guess some package missed its way, but I really dont know which one where and why

Im new at linux (well, a lotta years ago tried to install RedHat but never worked quite right) and yet I am the tipe who puts and takes out things first and asks later. It is very likely that I messed up some of the USE flags or something.

Also had problems at merge system stage. Sanity check problem in /etc/cpp I think? followed some method I found on the forums. thinking that might have skipped some package?

I emerged gentoo-dev-sources and configured it. never found the framebuffer support option in the configuration, tho
also emerged nvidia-kernell and then put some modules in auto-load
installed grub
reboot
and got the above explained situation
Lacrymology
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I runned emerge --search utilities since my utilities seem not to be installed (had to run emerge shadow because I didnt have passwd, but apparently it wasnt just that) and I found a quite alarming ammount of not installed core packages

I list
    os-utils
    cutils
    scumm-tools (dont know what this is, what it does, and why should it be installed, but since im a Monkey Island fan, hell, why not :D)
    acct
    coreutils
    modutils
    util-linux
    e2fsprogs

well, maybe some of those arent as important as i think, and probably a lot that are and I dont know are not installed either, so my question is, is tehre any way of installing this fast and safe? or do I have to go emerging one by one, possibly missing some other ones?
Lacrymology
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been completely and utterly ignored, but thanks to people in the irc channels and a lot of work I've worked it all out. The grub doesnt show and the problems with the screen seem to have been framebuffer-related. Disabled framebuffer support in the kernel and all worked fine. Put it back after a while (dont really recall why XD, gonna take it back out this afternoon) and all is back wrong (the screen is broken and GRUB doesnt show).

the mount command problem came, I think, from the sidepaths I had to take to overcome my sanity problems at /etc/cpp. booted from the LiveCD, chrooted and ran emerge system again, and all was good
azlan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the latency in response. People are too busy arguing politics it seems these days to respond to the one thing we all have in common.

(me included)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you got ignored. i've been spending the past week trying to get my machine to bootstrap. so if you're at the GRUB stage, you're farther along in your installation than i am... :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: