Anarchy Online Howto Available
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Anarchy Online Howto Available Reply with quote

Stumbled upon this while talking to marius_, unfortunately I've yet to get it work thanks to some D3D GL PrimativeDraw Error... however I'm only the second person to get this out of (rough estimate) 30.

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~marius/aolinux/

It's definately worth a look and uses the Cedega CVS. The instructions are pretty clear too, but I'd reccomend downloading the non-root version for simplicity unless you like jumping back and forth.

(EDIT) Also I ask out of common courtesy that if you get the same error as me, and somehow fix it. Please for the love of God, tell me how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump my own thread but I guess I should post these too:

http://malek.decksix.com/linux/snapshot22.png
http://malek.decksix.com/linux/snapshot23.png

Enjoy

(EDIT

A few things NOT mentioned in the Howto:

First of all, if you have any problems with a DrawPrimitive looping bug, let me know, however ElmerFudd and marius_ have mdae the new patch that I now use and it eliminates just about all instances of the new bug in the cvscedega. Check it out at the IRC channel on irc.freenode.org in #cedega

Second, be sure to use the new control panel. It has numerously few DirectDraw conflicts as opposed to the next one and I'm safetly getting about 10 more FPS in that windowed screenshot. Press F10 after you create a character, under options go to Visual, and reboot the sucker.

Third, Yes, it will crash when you try to exit. No, don't bother sending a report. Yes, run a killall -9 wine

Fourth: NEVER turn on Real water, or real environmental effects, AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, NEVER TURN ON OFF SCREEN TECHNOLOGY, IT WILL CRASH YOU ALMOST INSTANTLY!

(Twice Edit)

If you request a screenshot of a low level area, I will post it. Thanks.
rafael
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... by the new control panel you mean that we've to use the Shadowlands client, and not the classic one?
Is there any serious framedropping anywhere?

Oh, and I'm REALLY glad you made it work under linux, THANKS :D
schnarkle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowowowow

been hoping for this for a looooong time

:D :D :D
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafael wrote:
Hmm... by the new control panel you mean that we've to use the Shadowlands client, and not the classic one?
Is there any serious framedropping anywhere?

Oh, and I'm REALLY glad you made it work under linux, THANKS :D

Starting sometime recently, they completely changed the layout of the GUI, instead of just a bar on the bottom, it's now two seperate bars on the lower right and left to make it look more HUDish. It's under options (F10) -> Misc -> Enable new Control Panel, and reboot the client.

Please send all thanks to Marius.

Furthermore: I must notify you of some new bugs:

First of all, sometimes the GUI will occasionally flake out over a small period of time, and certain directdraw elements will not refresh properly forcing you to log out and log back in. For examples:

- The Skills Screen (This will not change from the general abilities page) and there is no fix for this yet
- Looting will sometimes give the wrong name for the window title and items will not appear. However if you hold your mouse cursor over a blank spot, it will show the name and you can still loot it.
- Mission Acquisition Terminals will not update either.

Also, exiting the game normally will crash the game, this is alright, just run a killall -9 wine.

Again, give thanks to marius_ in #cedega, I'm just his beta tester.

(Edit). Do NOT attempt to run this game in the "Config" file under Desktop. Just ste it in windowed mode, and you'll be fine, otherwise you'll get much worse bugs.

(Further Edit) For those of you wondering, yes, marius_ is dedicating his next efforts to Clicksaver.
Dont know anything
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running this. At the start it seemd to work flawlesly, but that was utill i entred borralis. The framereate in borralis is extremely slow (basically unplayable) But i thougt that was not such a big deal, since im omni anyway. Problem arised when i entred elly, I hav ethe same unplayable framerate in elly as in borralis, and actually do make it unplayable.

Im running xorg and nvidia, i have no other trobles concerned audio/video on this system

Is there a fix to this??

I dont have wndows on my system, and im hooked onto this game.

Please!!

:lol:
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know anything wrote:
Im running this. At the start it seemd to work flawlesly, but that was utill i entred borralis. The framereate in borralis is extremely slow (basically unplayable) But i thougt that was not such a big deal, since im omni anyway. Problem arised when i entred elly, I hav ethe same unplayable framerate in elly as in borralis, and actually do make it unplayable.

Im running xorg and nvidia, i have no other trobles concerned audio/video on this system

Is there a fix to this??

I dont have wndows on my system, and im hooked onto this game.

Please!!

:lol:

A few things...

A - You can run it in full screen always to make it run a bit more playable, and again, I highly suggest using the newest GUI which adds a very nice boost to frame rate.

B - If those don't help, I can only suggest running in lower detail settings. If you check your console, you'll notice that it loads Textures individually on the fly which causes quite a few hiccups (this also makes the Shadowlands virtually unplayable.)

C - I also hate to say this, but the game with the hiccups and low frame rates also exist on Windows.

Borealis is a neutral zone where almost everyone hangs out... Neutrals, Omni, and Clanners -- Unfortunately a few people also just idle there leaving their accounts logged in. (Boglwe comes to mind, that stupid [self edit].) So I'm thinking it's an engine and player contributed problem. I can't really offer much of a solution asides staying in the less populated areas. Sorry.

(Further Edit) Yes, Alien Invasion works.
byrnerat101
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm the cvs-install doest work for me, i ran it the first time and it died on cvs checkout and now if i try to run it again it says EOF from server.... Any ideas?
160 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm 8 mg cache
20 gig western digital
Greven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post this on the Wine-Wiki.org? The Gentoo forums full up to fast.

Thanks,
Jason
AMD 64 3500+ | MSI "K8T NEO2-FIR" | mushkin Dual Channel DDR 400
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: