post install question!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polish Cafe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: post install question! Reply with quote

Hallo i'm new to this forum and gentoo itself so excuse me if i post in a wrong spot etc:P

Well my probz are:

I have new dell gts with intell(r) 82865G graphics card build in.
Also new intell ethernet card - well used to use mdk 10.0 but this distro won't install properly on my new comp:((
Tried suse - same main problem is that nither one of this distros have proper drivers for my graphics card so after install i get weirg graphics and can't do a thing:((
Now i got gentoo already burned from public dwnload but before i try to install i wish to know if this will work???
Is gentoo good for compiling softs - i will need it to compile verlihub and bunch of other software from source - can someone tell me?
Should i even bother installing gentoo?
Is pppoe supported and easu to setup i got ameritech dsl and many linux distros are very complicated so its almost imposible to set it up well.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish Cafe,

All GNU/Linux distros are have there strong points and weak points.
Anything you can do on one you can do on another. From the ease of set up point of veiw Gentoo is amongst the most difficult because of all the choices you need to make. Thats its strong point too - Gentoo is about choice.

You can build whatever software you have the source code for on Gentoo, just as yo would on any other distro.

pppoe is supported but I've never set it up. From the number of posts, it does cause problems.

Gentoo is not for new Linux users unless they have some histroy in computers as an engineer, not a Windows user. It has a very steep learning curve. If you are willing to go through the learning, then give it a try.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: