View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fernando_mojica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: KDE takes forever to compile Reply with quote

I am installing KDE, but seems that is forever the installation.. after I copy the sources on the portage directory I typed emerge kde and so far have been 24 hours of compilation and still running, can anyone help me please by telling me if this among of compilation time is normal?? How I can configure my system to boot into a graphic mode?? Is kde the best choice??? How I can run kde after I compile it… how I can compile gnome?
thanks
pleusicles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE takes forever to compile Reply with quote

fernando_mojica wrote:
I typed emerge kde and so far have been 24 hours of compilation and still running, can anyone help me please by telling me if this among of compilation time is normal??

It can be normal, depending on the speed of your processor (which would be useful to know when speaking about compile times). After all, "emerge kde" isn't a good choice IMO. Emerging kdebase would be speedier - only qt, arts, kdelibs and kdebase would be compiled. But these would take a lot of time as well. Then you could emerge the remaining packages one by one - only those you really need (I for one never compile -edu and -games).

A few hints for speeding up compiling KDE: search the forums for DO_NOT_COMPILE, myconf=--enable-final and unsermake.

Quote:
How I can configure my system to boot into a graphic mode??

Code:
rc-update add xdm default

after specifying DISPLAYMANAGER=KDM in /etc/rc.conf (I suppose you want to use KDM with KDE).

Quote:
Is kde the best choice???

There is no such thing as best choice :D
However, if you would like something lighter than KDE, I would recommend xfce4.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: