emerge and important info
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epcylon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: emerge and important info Reply with quote

Tried searching the forums for this, but couldn't find it anywhere.

I've just installed a new system, and so I have a big bunch of software I need to get in place. I've done them in "batches" with
Code:
emerge this and that
and it works well... except for a couple things.

• Every now and then a package spits out some important info about how to finalize the installation of the package. (usually which config file to fix)
  • Some packages have similar needs to the previous point, but doesn't even mention them.

What I want is some way to get a list of those info messages that gets dropped by configure or make during the install. As it is, emerge will just press on and output a huge load of useless info so the message gets lost. (Even if you only do 1 package)

Another thing would be for packages that "require" that you do stuff before they're done to actually tell you. This might seem like something everyone knows to you, but for me it wasn't exactly obvious that after emerging autofs I also needed to do
Code:
rc-update add autofs default

Is there any way to do this? Should there be a way to do this? ;)
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone has their perferred style for getting software onto a system, but mine is to fully install and configure each piece before moving on to the next.

Given how modular Linux is, and how most tools tend to rely on a stable foundation of several other packages, I would be leery about piling several packages on at the same time since that often makes troubleshooting much much harder...

In a perfect world, I think your idea is a good one, but given that little hiccups and adjustments usually take place along the way, I'm not sure I personally would condone "bulk" installing packages more than one at a time...

YMMV, of course...

And you're right that not all of the ebuilds tell you all of the follow-on steps you need to do. Frustrating at times, but again another reason you probably want to test and confirm each piece in isolation before piling more layers on...
Epcylon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your view has merits of course, and if I was on a faster system I'd probably just do it your way... but when most of the big things takes hours to compile I like to leave it overnight and make sure it has something to do all night... (Building things on a P166 takes time... :))

I'll just try and live with it I guess...
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two gentoo boxes are a P166MMX with only 40MB RAM, and a PII-266.

Trust me, I share your pain. :)
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge and important info Reply with quote

Epcylon wrote:

What I want is some way to get a list of those info messages that gets dropped by configure or make during the install. As it is, emerge will just press on and output a huge load of useless info so the message gets lost. (Even if you only do 1 package)

Yes, even if only one package is emerged at a time those essential configuation messages can be lost as the scroll up the screen. I found when emerging MySQL, Apache and PHP that I needed to examine the .ebuild files to reread those important messages. What is needed is output to a log file reserved for those post-install messages so they are not lost among the compiler messages etc.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try

# emerge the packages you want > emerge.log

examples:

# emerge samba > /tmp/samba.log
# emerge samba fluxbox > /tmp/emerge-001.log

If you want to send all warning and error messages to a file, you can re-direct those as well. I'd show you that too but I'm having a 'brain fart' at 5:30am and I can't recall exactly how to do it without looking it up. Something like adding '2$>/tmp/samba.errors' to the above example.

I need to refresh my mind on re-direction I guess. :)
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm awake and fully functional (read - brimming with coffee)

do

# emerge package1 package2 package3 > packs.msgs 2>&1

All your standard output and all your standard erros will be sent to the file packs.msgs.

Works quite well I may add.

:)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tee is another nice way to do this, while still having stuff display to the terminal window at the same time.
jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge and important info Reply with quote

Epcylon wrote:

if you emerge packages within a script, you can use redirection as dufeu explained. otherwise i'd recommend using tee(1), e.g.
Code:
# emerge -u world 2>&1 | tee ~/world_upd.log
(advantage over simple redirection: you can see the output while emerge is running)

Quote:
Another thing would be for packages that "require" that you do stuff before they're done to actually tell you. This might seem like something everyone knows to you, but for me it wasn't exactly obvious that after emerging autofs I also needed to do
Code:

some packages (e.g. apache) give hints, some don't (maybe). i think it's ok that you have to add daemons etc. manually to your startup-scripts. could be bad if your telnet or ftp server would be up and running 1 second after building...
Epcylon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge and important info Reply with quote

jukka wrote:
Epcylon wrote:

if you emerge packages within a script, you can use redirection as dufeu explained. otherwise i'd recommend using tee(1), e.g.
Code:
# emerge -u world 2>&1 | tee ~/world_upd.log
(advantage over simple redirection: you can see the output while emerge is running)

Aha... that sounds like a good thing... thanks :)

Quote:
Quote:
Code:

some packages (e.g. apache) give hints, some don't (maybe). i think it's ok that you have to add daemons etc. manually to your startup-scripts. could be bad if your telnet or ftp server would be up and running 1 second after building...

Of course... I wasn't asking for it to do those things for me, but I've just seen a couple of emerges where you get no info about things you need to do at all... more of a "venting frustration" towards those ebuildscripters who assume too much than an actual request... ;)
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if there is such simple|usefull ways, why have'n some of it gone into portage/emerge? It obviously would have made life easier for many gentoo users. IMHO this should have been in portage long time ago.

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonWalker wrote:
So if there is such simple|usefull ways, why have'n some of it gone into portage/emerge? It obviously would have made life easier for many gentoo users.

If not into portage itself then at least into the install and/or using portage instructions. Perhaps this thread is a candidate to be summarised in the propsed FAQ forum?
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slais-sysweb wrote:
If not into portage itself then at least into the install and/or using portage instructions. Perhaps this thread is a candidate to be summarised in the propsed FAQ forum?

I vote for it to get into portage it self as it not only would make life easier, but if the multi package parameter in "#emerge package1 package1 ... " should be worth the name it need such a feature. However, even when emerge just 1 package (which often pull dependencies) you easily get into this situation, not to talk about "#emerge -u world" which now almost is a hazard to use and not are used by any sane gentoo user (the only thing I use are "#emerge -up world" and emerge packages individually with the -u switch).

A FAQ is good in many cases, but here I think the energy would be better used to get it into Portage instead. I think it's pretty clear, when you install a program you expect to be informed of nessesarry steps following if the install program don't manage to do it. Otherwise I would say the install routine are incomplete.

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---bump---

Can I get an update on this? It really should be a feature in portage. Next to the emerge.log there also should be a log with the important info messages, or maybe even a recapitulation at the end of an emerge series.
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=51754&highlight=emerge+info+message+log
Xk2c
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik until now there is no "official" Gentoo way for this, but you could enable :

Code:
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage

in your make.conf
You have to create this directory by yourself.

After this you could use portlog-info.

portlog-info is a a little script that catches all important Information out of this Logfiles in /var/log/portage.
You can get portlog-info here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67849
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131795
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: