Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can it be done without the need for "chroot"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z3ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Can it be done without the need for "chroot"? Reply with quote

Okay, this is sort of a strange question but anyway... I need to setup a few gentoo environments - for User Mode Linux, but I need to do this without being root.

I have everything else figured out, except for compiling the actual UML Gentoo system. I would extract the stage1 tarball to /home/user/umls/n (where n is the number of the UML environment - a bash script is creating them. Then I would setup make.conf, and any of the other config files - that is easy.

Now, because I do not want to chroot into the "UML Gentoo" I don't need to mount proc, so no problems there.

Basically, here is where it gets tricky:

Code Listing 4: Chrooting into the new environment wrote:
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
* Caching service dependencies...
# source /etc/profile

Instead of chrooting into the system, and running env-update to set it up is is possible to update the environment vars so that I could proceed and run "emerge sync" and "emerge system" and have them work on the "UML Gentoo" and not the host system?

Hmm. I hope this makes sense and you understand what I am trying to say, it is rather hard to explain. Anyway, if you have any information on this...
TJNII
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't install a new gentoo instalation without root access to it. Can you elaborate on why you can't be root so that we can go from there? I have the feeling that you may be misinformed on something but I don't want to insult your intellegence by assuming it.
z3ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing a script to automate the creation and setup of some UML environments. I wanted to do it without the need to be root but obviously that is not possible so I will just have the script check to make sure that $UID=0.

No, I am not misinformed.

Thanks anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: