Installation, ReiserFS and fstab
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Installation, ReiserFS and fstab Reply with quote

If you make ReiserFS file systems on installation you will need to list them in your fstab as discussed in the installation doc. Unfortunately, the doc does not tell you how to specify the ReiserFS file type exactly, and after specifying them as "ReiserFS" in my installation I discovered the kernel could not boot them. This tip is to shorten your search, which was entirely too long in my case, for the correct format. It is "reiserfs".

-- Michael
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have discovered this while mounting /mnt/gentoo, cause it also gets the type from your /etc/fstab. But you've got a good point, it never occured to me, but reading it again it does suggest putting ReiserFS into /etc/fstab cause reiserfs in no where mentioned. So I think an update / change of the install documents is needed, seeing people having this problem probably won't read it here, ;-)

Cya lX.
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

Yup, an update to install doc would be very helpful. Something else to add is that "duron" is not a valid gcc -march= option, contrary to what the make.conf comments say. Its things like this that really waste a lot of a person's time needlessly. And there are probably many other things that would be very useful to be in the install doc, especially considering how important it is to everyone. Perhaps we should explore ways to get better maintenance of it.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe you could file a bug report at bugs.gentoo.org, but I don't know if it gets read or how to call it, but the duron thingy is definitly a BUG and needs to be fixed, cause it ain't an option.

Cya lX.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking about reiserfs, don't forget to add notail to the fstab entry where your /boot is, unless you are not using GRUB.
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
talking about reiserfs, don't forget to add notail to the fstab entry where your /boot is, unless you are not using GRUB.

Yes, but doesn't it make more sense just to use ext2/3 for /boot? What's the point of using a high performance, journaling file system for a partition that has very little and is hardly ever mounted anyway?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an old discussion, you may find some threads about it. But the point is that some people use it (some people don't even use a separate /boot). So, it is better to warn them 8)

sheepdog wrote:
Bloody Bastard wrote:

Yes, but doesn't it make more sense just to use ext2/3 for /boot? What's the point of using a high performance, journaling file system for a partition that has very little and is hardly ever mounted anyway?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:

This is already in the current manual, and has been for some time I think. it's in there 2 times:
Quote:
Important: If your boot partition (the one holding the kernel) is ReiserFS, be sure to mount it with the -o notail option so GRUB gets properly installed. Make sure that notail ends up in your new /etc/fstab boot partition entry, too. We'll get to that in a bit.

Well it can hurt to remind people of this, (help somebody few weeks ago who had made his /boot partition using reiserfs without notail option, he had a 100mb partition so I adviced him using ext2 (not many files, not mounted most of the time, quickly checked) ).

Cya lX.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it cannot hurt, I guess 8)

If you search, you'll find many threads just because of this detail....

lx wrote:

Well it can hurt to remind people of this, (help somebody few weeks ago who had made his /boot partition using reiserfs without notail option, he had a 100mb partition so I adviced him using ext2 (not many files, not mounted most of the time, quickly checked) ).

Cya lX.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot should be give the most paranoia options. Use ext3, with both metdata and data journalling. Keep two /boot if possible, and synchronise often.

Options to use for ext3 boot: noauto data=journal noatime

May also use the above hints to protect /etc, /bin and /sbin.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
boot should be give the most paranoia options. Use ext3, with both metdata and data journalling. Keep two /boot if possible, and synchronise often.

Hint: it's most important to save / backup your personal data (possibly including setting in home and /etc), all other things can be rebuild, and you only lose some time. losing reports and mail etc is much worse.

It's probably better to use ext2 and you don't need to be to paranoia, cause most of the time it isn't used, and most of the time it isn't written to, so not many things can go wrong with it (except harddrive failure), ps I strongly recommend when updating to make a backup (inside boot) c.q. don't immediatly replace it. I also recommend making tbz2 of the most important packages c.q. all package so you can restore a faulty system fairly quick.

/boot is easly fixed just boot into gentoo cd, compile kernel from /usr/src/linux or just copy the files and reboot. Problems in the root file system are a bigger problem, ;-)

Cya lX.

Ps. Yep bloody bastard I meant "can't hurt", ;-)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
Sounds like total overkill to me. It's not normally mounted, it's small enough that fsck.ext2 runs quickly when it has to run, there are very few files, write access is extremely rare. It sounds like a filesystem where the probability of corruption is astronomically low to me. I always use ext2 on /boot.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with lx and rac. Maybe it would even increase the chances of something going wrong.

rac wrote:
zhenlin wrote:
Sounds like total overkill to me. It's not normally mounted, it's small enough that fsck.ext2 runs quickly when it has to run, there are very few files, write access is extremely rare. It sounds like a filesystem where the probability of corruption is astronomically low to me. I always use ext2 on /boot.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Ive dont a bit of reserch on reiserfs and i would sudgest mounting ALL you reiserfs partitions with the notail option.
The reason for this is partly according to these benchmarks.
http://www.gurulabs.com/ext3-reiserfs.html
When you check out the reiserfs website(http://www.namesys.com/) it explains what all this notail business is about, you can read it for yourself if you like, but basically reiserfs packs its tails to save space,
According to them.
"ReiserFS is more space efficient. If you write 100 byte files, we pack many of them into one block. Other filesystems put each of them into their own block. We don't have fixed space allocation for inodes. That saves 6% of your disk."

So if you turn on "notail" the tails dont get packed which results in more space being used, however also results in more responsivness under load.
I mount both my '/boot' and '/' with notail and notice no problem at all.

(side point) If your looking for responsiveness I hear its a good idea to use the hdparm '-a' flag, it specifies for read ahead. IIRC the parameters go from -a2 to -a255 .. -a2 causeing the greatest responsiveness at the cost of the most overhead, a good middle of the road is -a128... I use -a32.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: