gplflash sucess ? (Solved Workaround)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: gplflash sucess ? (Solved Workaround) Reply with quote

nspluginwrapper with flash 9

Hi there anyone have installed with sucess the new gplflash ?

For amd64 firefox
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Last edited by Mythos on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

installed yes, but when i choose a webpage with enabled flash my mozilla crashes. so swfdec is the only thing i have

dangertools
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there dangertools, thank you for the answer, but is swfdec a plugin for mozilla or is just a external tool ?
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it and you will see! it is a plugins but it doesn't work really good

dangertools
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Gplflash Reply with quote

I seem to have firefox, java and flash working so far.
I got annoyed with firefox-bin and no java with flash7 so i tried out gplflash again.
Simply emerged the following on amd64:

gplflash-0.4.10-r3
mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3
blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01 (jre if you like)

Now I know that gplflash only supports <v4 flash but i'll take my chances.
It has been patched so it doesn't segfault on amd64.
Java is fine as far as I can tell.

Axel
xordan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, crashes for me, and somehow screwed up firefox so it segfaults :)
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gplflash Reply with quote

axelmasok wrote:

gplflash-0.4.10-r3

Now I know that gplflash only supports <v4 flash but i'll take my chances.
It has been patched so it doesn't segfault on amd64.
Java is fine as far as I can tell.

Axel

we have talked about errors which still exist in gplflash-0.4.12 and so be sure that *.10 has much more problems ;) , and yes, this old version only supports flash <v4. latest version would be 0.4.13 but looks like it has some major problems too cause eg there is no ebuild for it and i tried to install it from the tarball and it didn't work too.
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gplflash Reply with quote

Axel[/quote]

we have talked about errors which still exist in gplflash-0.4.12 and so be sure that *.10 has much more problems ;) , and yes, this old version only supports flash <v4. latest version would be 0.4.13 but looks like it has some major problems too cause eg there is no ebuild for it and i tried to install it from the tarball and it didn't work too.[/quote]

Your likely to be correct. The version I run is probably buggy still. I can say now after a week of use everything seems "reasonably" OK. I had one or two firefox crashes but on returning to the same page later prooved OK.
By no means am I a lucky one. I will keep my eye on new versions and test them as I go.
tcbounce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: no joy with gplflash Reply with quote

I've been getting segfault's on every flash page I tried too. I emerge it with the oss use flag (which probably created more problems)

It will be great when we have something that works.

I also suggest an mozilla XUL extention that puts an sexy "F" icon where the flash would be - that is configured to load flash on demand, and report that your browser is flash capable. So even if you have the flash plugin from hell installed, (that may work on some sites), at least you know when your mozilla session is about to die, the instant you click on an unloaded flash object :P
Reminds me of at 2400bps connection and manually loading images in Netscape 2.0.

Cheers,

Luke
chchoque
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke,

Are you using the 0.4.13 version?

The 0.4.12 was crashing immediatly because of wrong size of integer. The drawing code was supposing that an int was 32 bits...
You have two ways to make it work:
- grab the 0.4.12 and get the amd64 patch available at sourceforge. I have developped this patch on a dual opteron, gentoo-64, kernel 2.6.9. I have no major crash so far.
- grab the 0.4.13. This version sometimes crashes on my machine. It has some parts of the amd64 patch. The missing part is thread safe section that prevents firefox to close the plugin while it renders sound, video or is drawing. This problem has also be reported on x86. The crash occurs when you have multiple Flash scripts in a page.

If you get compiling errors on 0.4.13, edit the makefile to remove the faulty .libs that cause the link to fails (.libs/;libs). This is a configure version problem.

FYI, I'am working on a next major step. The new plugin will be based on openGL for rendering and will implement flash action script, up to version 7. That's a lot of work. There is a big library to write and I'am now in the Object/inheritance model implementation.
The graphic layer still need some fixing.

The main concern I have now is that I'am nearly the only active developer on gplFlash. As soon as the base code and the design will be stabilized, we need more developer involved if we want to have something available before summer for gentoo-64 users.

Cheers
Christophe
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christophe,
I thought gplflash was more active than just 1 developer. I wish I could help. It is a shame with all the crying over no flash on amd64 that gplflash would have more support. I will use gplflash 100% over macromedia. Will continue to keep an eye on new versions to test.
I have compiled 0.4.13 the other day to test and am getting a few random firefox crashes. about:plugins reports 0.4.12 still.
If there are any developers interested reading this - offer some help to Christophe if you can spare the time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: