Wine Needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Wine Needed Reply with quote

I've noticed that wine doesn't seem available on the 64 bit platform. But I noticed that there is an alternative called cedega.

In this thread (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-244596-highlight-.html), there was a windows executable that needed to be run by wine. Will cedega be suffecient for this? Or will I need to compile a 32-bit version of wine?
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedega is the commercial wine that used to be known as WineX. Because its commercial, you pay for it, but you can also get the free beta tester version online somewhere. Cedega has more DirectX capabilities for games, but I have found that, as much as I hate windows, it is easier to just maintain a dual-boot system than mess with the wine setup to get games going (and I had to pay for the copy of XP that came with my laptop anyway, so might as well use it...) Unless your into gaming, the regular wine will work fine, or possibly better, depending on the application.

Wine is a program which allows you to run windows programs on linux. You may be running a 64 bit linux, but the windows programs are still only 32 bit, so it makes no sense to try and setup wine in 64 bit. You can still use 32 bit wine on a 64 bit system (don't think it will compile, so you have to use binary packages...), but then you are kind of emulating on 2 levels.

Then it's hilarious.
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see this thread for 32bit wine packages for use on amd64.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: