View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstar274
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: fluxbox issues Reply with quote

I emerge fluxbox-0.9.13-r3 yesterday and it installed just fine. My quirk with it right now is that when I log into my box as root through gdm, fluxbox starts just fine without a single problem. When I log into my box using my standard user login; I get that "Your X Session has not lasted for more than 10 seconds......" error message. Any ideas?

Thanks
mcguire_mr2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a similar prob., except, i get the same error regardless of which desktop session I choose in gdm. My error message dialog box give me a checkbox to view more details in ~/.xsession-errors file. Here is the output of that:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "user_name"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- startfluxbox
/usr/bin/bsetroot: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/fluxbox: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I get similar output for IceWM, but no problem with Openbox. Wonder what happened? I recently emerged some stuff, but I can't remember exactly what I emerged...maybe glibc was the last package to come down.
feadin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here... did a world update, I think it updated glibc too, among other things (sorry, it was a rutine update and didn't pay much attention).

The only way I found to fix it is to re-emerge to the 'old' glibc version (200410XX) and reemerge last gcc, and now it works.

Won't do any more glibc or gcc update until I have time to do some research and find out what's going on.

Any info will be appreciated.
mcguire_mr2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have found a solution --

After looking thru another thread, I decided to run the following:

gcc-config -l

Here's the output I got:

* /usr/sbin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp

Notice the first line, beginning with an ' * '.

Running "gcc --version" leads me to believe that I'm currently running GCC version 3.4.3, so I figure I should change my gcc profile to reflect this....right?

I run the following to make my gcc profiles correct:

gcc-config "i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3"

I then reboot, and so far everything seems to be OK.

hope this helps.
Darkstar274
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Only one gcc profile here Reply with quote

I only have one gcc profile. Also attached is the error message that I get when I log in as non -root user.

Code:

gcc-config -l

[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4 *

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "darkstar"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- startfluxbox
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

Error: Can not connect to X server.
Make sure you started X before you start Fluxbox.

[/code]
mcguire_mr2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Only one gcc profile here Reply with quote

Hmmm...sounds like a different prob than we had. almost sounds like something that "xhosts +" would fix. BUT...I don't advise running this, as I think it will alow * to remotely access your Xserver.

Here are some ?'s for you:
1. Do you "startx" to launch X/fluxbox, or do you have xdm in your default startup profile (rc-update -s)
2. If you did not do so below, please provide complete contents of ~/.xsession-errors. "~" is the home dir of the user you ran "startx" as, or the user you loged in as if X is starting automatically (via xdm startup).
3. Also, I know this probably goes without saying, but since it sounds like you've just update fluxbox, run "etc-update" and see if anything's left undone.

BTW--where did you get Fluxbox 0.9.13 from? Portage?

Darkstar274 wrote:
I only have one gcc profile. Also attached is the error message that I get when I log in as non -root user.

Code:

gcc-config -l

[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4 *

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "darkstar"
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

Error: Can not connect to X server.
Make sure you started X before you start Fluxbox.

[/code]
Darkstar274
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I emerged fluxbox from portage. I ran etc-update awhile ago, this is a fresh stage 1 install. But I will try that again to see if that may address my problems. What I posted was the full contents of my ~/.xsession-errors. Also, I use gdm to log into my box, I don't like having my box just boot straight to the desktop....gdm runs fine w/o any problems at all. As of right now, I have done a re-emerge of fluxbox, checked out www.fluxbox.org for their instructions on running it and etc-update obviously had nothing to do.
Code:

darkstar root # etc-update
Scanning Configuration files...
Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting. :)
darkstar root #

Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcguire_mr2 wrote:
Having a similar prob., except, i get the same error regardless of which desktop session I choose in gdm. My error message dialog box give me a checkbox to view more details in ~/.xsession-errors file. Here is the output of that:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "user_name"
/usr/bin/bsetroot: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/fluxbox: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I get similar output for IceWM, but no problem with Openbox. Wonder what happened? I recently emerged some stuff, but I can't remember exactly what I emerged...maybe glibc was the last package to come down.

did you have resolv it in anyway?
I have the same problem right now :(
mcguire_mr2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagnulein wrote:
mcguire_mr2 wrote:

did you have resolv it in anyway?
I have the same problem right now :(

Cagnulein:

Look a few posts below the one you quoted, and you'll find my solution. May or may not work for you.
Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i saw it but it dosn't work for me :(
bbandeira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Easy Way Reply with quote

rm ~/.Xauthority

It solved my problem.
Apewall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ran into this problem, using Fluxbox-0.9.12, i only recieve the xsession exit error if i exit before 10 seconds is up as it is supposed to be.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: