Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Reinstalling 2004.1 to current (2004.3)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReeferMac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reinstalling 2004.1 to current (2004.3)? Reply with quote

Well, I have to reinstall my OS, and figure I'll clean up a few things while I'm at it.

I previously installed on my AMD64 machine using a 2004.1 liveCD. I remember reading some problems w/ 2004.2, but 2004.3 is out now. How's 2004.3?

Have the GCC3.3 - 3.4 problems been hammered out yet? I'm clueless when it comes to most of that stuff, but have been seeing lots of emails on the AMD64 Email list about troubles migrating... I stick to the stable branch, so don't want a huge amount of headaches (but don't want to have to update everything to 3.4 in the near future, either). From what I've gleaned, 3.4 by itself is stable, it's the migration that causes headaches. Should I lead w/ 3.4?

How are the new Nvidia drivers working on AMD64? So far everything appears positive.

What kernel version is best? I also see some troubles cropping up here and there...

I had a bugger of a time w/ my USE= flags last install... couldn't get the damned thing to go unless I pared the list down to about 6 options... I'd like things to be a tad more optomized than that.... Is there a listing of USE= flags that work consistently for people? (Yes, I've read the Technote (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/technotes.xml), and have my CFLAGS figured out now, which is why I'm asking about 3.3 vs. 3.4... but that doesn't cover USE flags).

Thanks for all the help.

- Mac
embobo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinstalling 2004.1 to current (2004.3)? Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I have to reinstall my OS, and figure I'll clean up a few things while I'm at it.

I previously installed on my AMD64 machine using a 2004.1 liveCD. I remember reading some problems w/ 2004.2, but 2004.3 is out now. How's 2004.3?

I just reloaded my AMD64 machine. I started with 2004.2. There doesn't seem to be a 2004.3 cd in http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/amd64/. I immediately changed my profile to 2004.3 and added ~amd64 to my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. Everything seems fine.

Quote:
Have the GCC3.3 - 3.4 problems been hammered out yet?

I haven't had any major problems. There was some issue with the c++ compiler wanting to use gcc 3.4.2 when I only had 3.4.3 but running gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3, env-update, and re-source-ing /etc/profile fixed that.

Quote:
How are the new Nvidia drivers working on AMD64? So far everything appears positive.

I'm using nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629 with no problems. I mostly play Urban Terror.

Quote:

What kernel version is best? I also see some troubles cropping up here and there...

I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r3 with no problems thus far.

Quote:
I had a bugger of a time w/ my USE= flags last install... couldn't get the damned thing to go unless I pared the list down to about 6 options... I'd like things to be a tad more optomized than that.... Is there a listing of USE= flags that work consistently for people?

Here is my USE:

Code:

USE="amd64 X Xaw3d aalib acl acpi adns alsa avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bmp bonobo cddb cdparanoia cdr crypt cscope cups dga directfb divx4linux dmx dv dvd dvdread edl emacs encode f77 faac faad fbcon flac foomaticdb gd gdbm geoip gif gpm graphviz gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal idea imagemagick imlib ipv6 jack javascript jbig jikes jp2 jpeg junit libwww live lm_sensors lzo lzw lzw-tiff mad mailwrapper matroska mbox mikmod milter mmap mng mozilla mpeg multilib nas ncurses network nls nptl nvidia oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl perlsuid pic plotutils png portaudio ppds python quicktime readline rtc ruby sdl silc slang slp sndfile snmp speex spell ssl svg tcltk tcpd tetex tga theora tiff truetype unicode usb userlocales wmf xanim xml xml2 xmms xpm xprint xrandr xv xvid xvmc yv12 zlib video_cards_nvidia"
ReeferMac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback embobo!
I was running 2.6.7 w/ good luck, but had heard there were a few bumps along the way.

How did you change your profile to access 2004.3? Sorry if it's a Newb question... but that's me.

You think the compiler issues are taken care of now, or am I likely to experience the same things?

Thanks for the USE= flags! Did you do a stage 1 or stage 3 install? I kept getting errors on stage 1 compiles w/ a large USE= statement. Wasn't until I narrowed it down to like 6 of them, that it succeeded.

- Mac
embobo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How did you change your profile to access 2004.3?

Code:

# rm /etc/make.profile
# ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/<arch>/2004.3 /etc/make.profile

See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml for more info.

Quote:
You think the compiler issues are taken care of now, or am I likely to experience the same things?

I'm pretty ignorant about the issues. I just dove in and haven't drowned yet. 8)

Quote:
Thanks for the USE= flags! Did you do a stage 1 or stage 3 install? I kept getting errors on stage 1 compiles w/ a large USE= statement. Wasn't until I narrowed it down to like 6 of them, that it succeeded.

I wimped out and did a stage3. :)
ReeferMac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Bah... Stage 3!? ;)
Just kidding, thanks for the help. May end up being the road I end up taking!
Thanks again.

- Mac
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll go to this location you can download the "experimental" liveCD 2004.3:
ftp://gentoo.netnitco.net/pub/mirrors/gentoo/source/experimental/amd64/livecd/install-amd64-minimal-20041026.iso
Actually, any of the mirror sites should have this. I boot-strapped my M6805 laptop (amd64) a week or so back. What a difference in performance!

If you haven't yet started, this post
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=189250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
coupled with the amd64 install guide walked me right through it. The referenced post is for x86 architecture. Obviously just substitute amd64 where appropriate.

One thing to get you going. Your boot line must include the 'pci=noacpi noapic' parameters, as I don't think you can get networking started without it. I haven't run into any major problems yet. HTH, Bill
Swatinem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same thing as needlern1 but i cant really tell a performance difference.
i dont know why but genkernel --udev does not work for me. It made some error building udevd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: