USE Flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: USE Flags Reply with quote

In step 6 or is it 7 when it gives you the option to enter Use flags 1) Do you have to 2) does it make the install shorter if you don’t enter any at that point?
suso
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you have too as it already has a set of defaults. As far as making the install process shorter. It may make it slightly shorter. It depends on what you were going to put in the USE variable. If you put in something like -gnome -kde -qt -gtk then it would probably make the install much shorter than having an empty USE variable in your /etc/make.conf.
WumpusWill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're considering not setting any USE flags, why not do a Stage 3 install? It would be far faster than going through the compilation for a generic setup. :)
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is I did a stage 2 install on anthor system, and it took a long long long time just to get to the point to reboot. I have about 20 different use flags, which i think add to my problem (time) and was wondering if there is a quicker way install it on my other system.
WumpusWill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... if you want a working system sooner, how about doing a Stage 3 install followed by setting the USE flags and an:

Code:
# emerge -e world

Then you would have a fully installed system sooner, yet a fully tweaked one once you got the opportunity to recompile everything.

On the other hand, if you do a:

Code:
# emerge -pv system

before installing Stage 2, you can see how much the USE flags you have chosen affect your system. Also it seems like there was something in the handbook about the java flag adding tons to your emerge system compile time, but I can't seem to find that anymore.
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the java flag. What I want to do is install to the point I can reboot as quickly as possible, then when I have more time, I will install X and Gnome and other stuff. I also want to make a few changes to the cflags in config, can I do all that in stage 3 or stage 2? I'm just looking for a quick way to get to that re-boot point.
WumpusWill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'd do a Stage 3. You can alter cflags, etc..., just don't change chost.

The key with Stage 3 is that when you do an 'emerge -e world' to recompile your world, all your cflags and USE flags will go into effect, not before. It will give you a working system quickly, though, and might be worth a shot if you want to save time getting a bootable system up.
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a try tonight we I get home from work; when do I use the command emerge -e world?
Thanks,
IZ
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i don't want to install x and gnome now should i use the -x -gnome flags or just not put anything in.
WumpusWill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your install, you can use emerge -e world to recompile everything back onto your computer. Just set everything up according to the manual, and when finished you can do the emerge -e world.

infinitezero wrote:
if i don't want to install x and gnome now should i use the -x -gnome flags or just not put anything in.

I would go ahead and put the flags in if you're going to eventually have them on your system, just so you aren't missing any functionality. It won't slow down the stage 3 since everything is already installed there.

Best of luck! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: