View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Heavy Flickering even at 85Hz Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using Linux for quite a while now, but only on servers and on my laptop. For the first time, I've finally got it on my desktop, and therefore using X on a CRT monitor for the first time, but there seems to be an issue with the display. I've checked with xvidtune, and it says that my refresh rate is at 85Hz, under a resolution of 1280x1024. This is the same resolution and refresh rate that I use under Windows. The problem is that even at this resolution, I find that there seems to be very heavy flickering making it quite uncomfortable to the eyes. I can't see any similar flickering at this resolution under Windows. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most monitors will display the current refresh rate in the onscreen menu, have you checked to see what the monitor says it's running at?

Maybe xvidtune can be wrong(?) Or maybe it's running interlaced.
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... Thanks, I'll check out the OSD when I get home tonight, somehow I had not thought about that :P

Where would I check for interlace though?

Thanks.
meekjt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: For mode line help Reply with quote

If you want to make a mode line to your liking, try this out. http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
After using this I have final been able to run my monitor to the max refresh, 110 Hz!! No more headaches. If you have more questions about how to get the mode line working in the config file let me know.
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, OSD shows the same, 85Hz.... I'll try another modeline. I had found a site that gave some and that's what I'm using, but this one might give better results. Thanks
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The howto at the bottom of that xtimings page said that modelines are deprecated as of xfree86 4.0.X, and that those values are computed dynamically at startup.

Are you guys using older versions of Xfree or are they not telling the full story about still being able to manually set timings?

I'm just a little confused...
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the modelines have not worked :P But I thought it was just something wrong that I was doing. At least now I know that it was not me... hehe. Well, actually, they did change the behaviour, but they made it behave in the wrong way. I thought that the first page I had found just generated bad modelines, but I tried this morning with the new page, and instead I was starting in 1600x1200. So it's almost like it was working, just not properly at all. Problem is that outside of the weekend, I have VERY little time to try stuff at home, about 5-30 minutes max per night, so it has not been an extensive set of tests so far. Thanks for the heads up. I did notice a bit more flickering than before in my Windows too for a while, so maybe there's something wrong with my video card :\ I'll try a different one and see how it reacts.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the refresh rate is just slightly different than Windows (like 85.2 instead of 84.6 or something) and everything's showing it to you rounded to the nearest integer. Something (the monitor, video card, local EM interference) is not liking a certain exact combination.

Also, on the question of modelines - sometimes they're useful still (but not all that often). For example, if you want to roll your own resolution (for example, I like to use 1400x1050 lately on my 19" because it's a nice middle ground between 1280x960 and 1600x1200, and still has a nice 4:3 ratio for square pixels), or if you need to adjust the position/size of the image and the controls on your monitor don't have enough range, you can do it with modelines (try out xvidtune).
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
for example, I like to use 1400x1050 lately on my 19"

8O

Looney bastard.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, OSD shows the same, 85Hz

If the osd says 85 then it must be 85 I guess.

I'm pretty sensitive to refresh rates and although I can tell the difference between 85 and 120 I certainly wouldn't call 85 flickery so you might have another issue to deal with then refresh rate.

Electrical interference can cause flickering. We had horrible problems with all the monitors here being flickery when I moved in so I called the electical company and they came and found issues with the actual hookup to the house and fixed it, after that everything was fine. Not sure how to test for stuff like this, it effected all monitors but more so at certain refresh rates, so 75 was actually less flickery then 85 until the problem was fixed.

A small difference in refresh rate between windows and linux could create the flickering problem if it's being enhanced by some electrical interference. (84hz/86hz)

I've also read that poor grounding can cause similar problems.

You could also try a different monitor.

Last edited by Malakin on Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the original post, he dual boots Windows and Gentoo, and he has lots of flicker under linux at X resolution and Y refresh rate and no flicker in Windows at said rez/refresh. Odd problem indeed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: