GRUB vs Icarus at Jerri Springers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: GRUB vs Icarus at Jerri Springers Reply with quote

:D Jerri Springers: Todays theeme is:"Can you control your out of control teen?!!!"
Audience: Whoow! :o
Jerri Springers: So, Icarus, GRUB and you are having some problems, why don't you tell us about it?
:( Icarus: Well, that damn teen is just totally out off contol! he...
:o GRUB: Whateva!
:x Icarus: You shut upp now! I call your name and tell you to do something, you never boot when I tell you too, you just keep mocking me with repeating you name!
:twisted: YEA! YEA! What'evva!! I do whaddaiwant!
:x Icarus: You just keep repeating GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB all the time all over the screen instead of showing the boot choices and never does anything!
:evil: YEA! YEA! I do whaddaiwant!! You cant tell me what to do BITCH! I'm version 0.92!!! I'm grown upp.. I do whaddaiwant! I'll repeat GRUB GRUB GRUB all over the screen forevva! I'm not going to do your booting for you, BITCH! I do whaddaiwant!!! GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB ...
:? Jerri Springers: OK! But Icarus, isn't it something about you tried to compile with the =duron option but it didn't work and you had to use an Stage3 Athlon optimized package instead?.
:o Icarus: Yess! But since the only difference is the cash, level two cash as I remember, then it should work just fine...
:x GRUB: Wha'evva! Wha'evva!!
:) Jerri Springers: And Icarus, you used the ext3 filesystem on your boot partition??
:? Icarus: Yes! So what is the problem GRUB! Huh! What's th....
:evil: GRUB: I'll tell you the problem, BITCH! You're a fucking looser, BITCH! I don't have to listen to you! I'm VERSION 0.92!! I don't care how you write grub.conf to tell me what to do... I do whaddaiwant!!!
:evil: Icarus: You need to get straigthened out Mister!, you'r totally out of contol!!
:evil: GRUB: You can just take your ext3 boot, swap and reiserfs root partitions and go F#ing boot yourself!!
:) Jerri Springers: It seems that you two really doesn't get along. Lets ask some of the audience if they have any suggestions for how to solve this conflict... Yes you there, what do YOU think they should do :?: :?: :?:
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should post this in off the wall. ;-)
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO :lol:
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub is a bad software : )

It should be nice a grub vs lilo animated talk : )
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with my little GRUB!

I guess it's because I have given it some limits and I keep tab of it and where and what it does. So should you, else you'll end up on Jerry Springer or Jenny Jones.

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
You should post this in off the wall. ;-)
Agreed.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!
To quote a fortune cookie...
"LILO! you got me on my kneees..."
Sing along people! ahahhaha
just emerge lilo, use a graphic screen an drop it all on a floppy... You *are* going to feel better!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, apparently this is an actual request for help, and not just done for humor.
jdc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, very amusing read.

cache, not cash :wink:

Oh, and I think I might have had the same problem: apparently, you need to link menu.lst to grub.conf. It's in the install guide as a small note somewhere (something about backward compatibility), but you have to do something like "ln -sf /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.conf" or something to that effect.

me = linux n00b so a lot of things I type might be a bit "wrong" but that general idea is correct; I actually found another thread about the same problem so if you search, you might be able to find some other solutions.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny!

I don't think your problem is the menu.lst/grub.conf file. If this was the problem grub would say:

:x GRUB: I don't need no stinkin grub.conf. If that was the problem I would just give your Bi**h @$* the grub> prompt and make you boot your own damn computer.

Seriously, the the " grub grub grub" is usually due to grub stage1 not being able to find grub stage2. So the first step would be to try reinstalling Grub. If that doesn't work there may be hardware issues and more info is probably needed to solve that.

You may want to try lilo if your not dedicated to Grub. As long as it works, who cares.

Grub manual:
http://www.fsf.org/manual/grub-0.92/grub.html
Icarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh 8) Maby that's it. I have not manually told it where to find stage 2. I guess it's so dumb I'll have to spell it out for it :P
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and about that '=duron'
use CFLAGS for an athlon (XP or tbird that depends on the kind of CPU)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exci wrote:
and about that '=duron'
use CFLAGS for an athlon (XP or tbird that depends on the kind of CPU)

CFLAGS aren't used while compiling grub, the ebuild scripts has unset CFLAGS at the beginning, ;-) .

So it should run on most i386 compatible devices.

Cya lX.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this might or might now be the problem.. but i was going throw this all last night... and finally fixed it.. 8)

I have 4 HD's Hooked up... before i had my four hd's hooked up i only had 2...

hd 0
hd 1

when i install grub originally .. i had root (hd0,5) first harddrive, boot is on the 6th partition.. -1 becasue grub starts at 0.. so 6th = 5.. :)

Then setup (hd0) to put this in the Boot sector of the boot drive.. well the problem i had was i added 2 more HD's..

now my 2 new hd's took over for

hd 0
hd 1

and

hd 2 (original hd0)
hd 3 (original hd1)

were my original drives... At first everything was still working ok.. but i did some partition formatting and ghosted my hd2 to hd1.. now both had boot sector and were marked as active.. well from here.. everything got fucked.. i tried to boot the CD.. go into grub and reset the boot and root to (hd2,5) since there is where linux saw my shit when it was booted up.. well after that.. i got GRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUBGRUB
going on forever everytime i booted.. i even erased the hd1 ghosted partition.. killed the boot sector and everything.. went into grub a million times.. but to no avail... it would not use hd 2 like it did before.. Why??

Well becasue before getting booted into grub or linux.. the computer still see my hd2 as the original hd0 ... ta daaaaa... so i un hooked the 2 new drives... reboot into the cd.. and reset grub back to root (hd0,5) setup (hd0) and reboot poof.. it was working like a champ again.. hooked my 2 new drives back up.. and they were working like a charm also...

So if anything.. if you have extra drivers.. try removing them,, and making your boot drive the only one connected.. then go back into grub and set it up as (hd0) then try booting in alone.. if it works.. hook the other drives back up and see if that does the trick! :) Happy Trails...
Icarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I guess I'll try that some time. Right now I made a bootdisk as described in the install document when using raid. I don't.. but it works.. Before I did that I tried LiLO. But it made the same kind of thing. At boot it wrote "L" and then repeated 99 99 99 over half of the screen and then just halted comletely. When installing LiLO on the drive it complained about not being on the first drive. I also tested booting with no stage 2 or anything at all, but it just did that same thing wich then proved it was indeed because it couldn't find the stages. Maby it has something to do that I have configured my BIOS to boot my second HD FIRST! Wich maby make BRUB ...AND LiLO to think of my second harddisk as being the first, while at install it is told to look for the stages at the second drive. ..

But if so, whould it be possible to install GRUB on the second drive two but have it look for everything on the first drive without messing with the Windows2000's boot I have on that drive???

Well. Right now I am trying to get it to start with GNOME desktop. I have just emerged it. .. Took forever. Long time since i installed some x-window system when I earlier used SuSE. Looking for some documentation to install it..
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple drive problems and bios changing the order problems (SCSI,IDE) etc should be solved according to info grub, using the --device-map flag and a file /boot/grub/device.map, well if you can fix it another way, it's also fine, ass long as you get it fixed.

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: