To -Os or not to -Os?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
/usr/Bananaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: To -Os or not to -Os? Reply with quote

How come everyone on the forums seems to love optimizations with -03 -pipe -fomit....etc X 4 lines?...Is there actually noticable performance enhancements? Nobody really talks about -Os? which seems a little strange...I would have thought this would be a better switch to be flicking - I think I read somewhere that the gentoo sources are compiled with this? - yet in CFlags Central all the go is -03 etc....?

Anyhoo, :) My real question is does anyone know about -Os? I've been compiling with -Os and I'd like to know if the switches that you would normally use with -03 (like -fomit-frame-pointer) would make -Os more responsive? The reason I ask is because I like a quick responsive system - and programs compiled with -Os seem to load pretty damn quick! :) or would these switches just bloat out the compile?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Os -- optimize for size:

man gcc:
Code:

-Os Optimize for size.  -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase code size.  It also performs further optimizations
           designed to reduce code size.

-Os shrinks the size of the program in order to make it load into memory fast, the additional optimization flags bloat the program in order to make it run fast after loading into memory.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that smaller binaries loaded faster, but I found that lib. lookup count makes more of a difference than binary size. So optimize the hell out of it and use ELF prelinking, get the best of both worlds.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two systems here, one Duron 700@900/512MB and one PII300/96MB.
Both of them running gentoo.-1.4-r1 compiled with -0s -pipe -ffast-math.
In my personal view and feeling the difference is noticeable on the pII-Laptop (small though).
The Duron does not seem to be more responsive (lots of mem, UDMA100-Hdds). And -O3 -flotsaflags was not faster on that machine.
YMMV as always, but I'll stay with the -Os flag.
And btw, check out freebench (iirc), there you can check your settings.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think zypher's got it right:
on a big and modern PC the difference is too small to be noticed: you'd probably need the linux equivalent of Bapco's Sysmark or PCMark to be able to measure the difference.

I use:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4"

Say it's 2% faster than:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -O2
it certainly takes close to twice as long to compile stuff.

Therefore, altogether, it just might be a very bad "investment" to use these high optimizations (I'm forgetting the occasional ebuild breaking under high optimizations).

The good thing is: it's all up to your own choice and taste.
/usr/Bananaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: *lol* Reply with quote

:lol: Thanks for clearing that up guyz! :)
For my slower machine I'm going to keep compiling with -Os and the usual flags I used to use (which was my q) and I'll switch my main computer back to -03 -flotsflags...
/usr/Bananaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested this site cleared up a little bit for me http://www.goof.com/pcg/os2/tips.html I know it says for os2 but it talks about gcc and explainsa couple of useful tags :) including extras to use with -Os :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: