Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to make Windowmanager remember sessions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: How to make Windowmanager remember sessions? Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I recently installed fluxbox and I like it pretty much (sorry IceWM but you suck ;)). As far as I know no window manager is capable of remembering which programs/windows are started and loading them at the next start since this is the task of session-managers like kdm, xdm or gdm.
Is that right?

I read that there is still a possibility to autostart programs by writing them into the ~/.xinitrc, though these setting are static in contrast to sessions saved by session managers.

OK now what I would like to know is:

• Is there any possibility to make Fluxbox remember my programs wuthout using a session manager?
  • How much ressources does a session manager use? And does he slows down a system once the Windowmanager is running?

If a session manager slows down my system by only 1%-3% I would just install one and let him do the job.
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsm is a simple session manager that comes with X. It's not very pretty, but at least you could try it out to get an idea about the amount of resources a session manager might use. For more info try
Code:
man xsm
I think you basically start xsm instead of a window manager and then launch your wm from within xsm, but I myself am just trying it out, so your results may vary, depending on your wm.

Regards,
Jay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: