View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucif3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Macromedia flash problems Reply with quote

Ok I am having some real problems with flash sites. I know that others have reported these problems but I see no solutions other than the suggestions that flash for linux sucks.

I had flash working fine a while ago but now, while it loads sortly after any flash X becomes unresponsive and I usually have to exit and kill mozilla to get it back.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to get flash working properly, or knows what could be causing this.

Thanks,
Chris
fctk
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is your netscape-flash version? mine is net-www/netscape-flash-7.0.25
lucif3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that is what I have.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does suck. thats why they make you take the binaries.

i've seen it work on moz and crash moz too. ive got one box which will show the animations in kde. i put the same build (libs,base,pim,network,mm,gfx,addons and utils) on the box im on now and it does not work. where i think the issue lies is not in the libflashplayer.so but in the javascript it takes to run it.
i know that if a second jvm is installed the javaplugin.so in the nsbrowser/plugins or netscape/plugins it may not get relinked like it should (its actually /opt/your-jdk/jre/plugin/your-arch/libjavaplugin_oji.so). this can cause crashes as well just not working properly.
I have difficulty following hexidecimal (even though its compiled with gnu compiler) so i dont where to follow it after it get to this mobojo lib. it works (kindof) on the one box ive got like i said and all i did was emerge lots of stuff that seemed javay.
and as much as id love to delve into the world of java, i really just need a user end understanding of what needs to happen in order to get these things to work. kde and mozilla each have their own javascript libs to run some js not what it takes to do the flash though or maybe its supposed to. after that im lost.
and maybe i just need to switch my jvm.
i dont mean to beat up on java, it seemes like it may not be so bad. the internet has to run on something afterall, and in fact in that regard i think it really has potential but at this point there isnt a whole lot it does that php and some gifs cant do. i dont like the way its used to hide the source code of the webpage and levrage the system out of the user intrest. sure its a good idea to get away from the standard text link web page but need to know what web page your going to is pretty important for a whole lot of people. i guess hiding that info is important to a lot of others.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: