Gentoo and Fedora
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianomc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Gentoo and Fedora Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently running Fedora but would like to install Gentoo. I was thinking of setting up a partition of about 2 gigs in some unpartitioned space on my hard drive for gentoo and installing it alongside fedora(I've XP on another partition too). Then if everything goes smoothly I was thinking of just wiping the fedora partition and transferring all the files from the gentoo partition to the bigger fedora partition and then I dunoo.....do something with the smaller partition. Anyway do you think that's stupid and won't work?

Im just afraid that Gentoo wont work as nicely as I hope. Im using a Toshiba Tecra 9100. My only broadband connection really is a wireless one in my university, which I always use and I've no problem hanging around for Gentoo to install. I installed gentoo from a wired connection in the college before but its awkward cause of where the connection point is.

Then I realised rsynch wouldnt work cause of stupid computer services who run the campus network. Hence I just scrapped the installation.

Anyway my wireless card works really well in fedora under the orinoco_cs driver. So my second question is: do you think Ill be able to install Gentoo using it, remembering that rsynch doesnt work so Ive to use http? I'd say it won't be a problem really.

Thanks,
Ian
jeremy whiting
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like it's a problem, if I were you I'd go to a place where the wireless connection works on campus and boot the gentoo universal cd, then see if you can do rsync over the wireless and if gentoo universal detects your wireless card correctly. After that I'd say you should be good to go with your plan as stated.
tbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your configuration is similar to what I had to do to install Gentoo on my system, because I could only get a scsci driver for redhat.

This thread may give you some idea of what you can do:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=224311&highlight=

Basically, if you have to, you can do an "alternate installation" on top of Fedora.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: