Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
On-demand loading ide-cd module with udev?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: On-demand loading ide-cd module with udev? Reply with quote

I switched to pure udev system and everything seems to work OK except my cdrom devices. They do not exist until ide-cd module is loaded. Sure, I can autoload this module at boot, but then I can just as well compile it into kernel. Is there something I can do (edit modules.conf etc.) to get the ide-cd module loaded and have device created when I mount cd?

ALso, I would be curious to know why is this autoloading not working with udev: Is it not implemented yet, or is it not implemented for reason etc.

Thanks.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a kernel feature? It's should be in Loadable module support ---> Automatic kernel module loading...
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that it is kernel feature, but autoloading worked with devfs, but it does not work after I switched to pure udev (and yes, I have "Automatic kernel module loading" selected in my kernel config).
Whenever I do
Code:
mount /mnt/cdrom
I now get error message saying that "device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 does not exist". But after manually loading cd-ide module, device gets created and mounting works.

Because it used to work with devfs, it seems that udev breaks (or does not provide) something that is necessary for ide-cd autoloading, but I am not sure what.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: