View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choghok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.8 is slow! Reply with quote

Hi,

I did a emerge -u gnome yesterday (12/11)and updated to latest gnome 2.8. When I log in to gnome now I see that X takes at least 13% of cpu power and everything is really slow.

In KDE X would takearound 0.3% of the resources and it feels much faster.

Is there any reason? Could it be fixed? or is it just a new feature? :)
toaster666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did the same yesterday and had the same problems. I am using x.org 6.8. Because I once tried out the composite extensions the Extensions section was still present in my xorg.conf. I commented it out and X+gnome got fast again.

Maybe gnome activates the composite things.

greetz

>tilo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think recent releases of Metacity make use of the new extentions to X.org. I doubt they enable such experimental features by default though.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't be suprised if they did. after all, they did switch to spatial nautilus as default and removed options to turn it off from the logical menus, forceing users to use gconf, a program that popped up a warning saying it probably was better not to use gconf... they seem to be more ambitious then cautious, a stance which must be seen as good because it has already been decided that it is good, and to question it would result in flamming...
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toaster666 wrote:
Maybe gnome activates the composite things.

Unless you patched xorg respectively the experimental composite extension is off by default (and this is very good because it's dead slow right now) and can be activated via xorg.conf only. GNOME can not enable this extension if it's not enabled via xorg.conf.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechris wrote:
i wouldn't be suprised if they did. after all, they did switch to spatial nautilus as default and removed options to turn it off from the logical menus, forceing users to use gconf, a program that popped up a warning saying it probably was better not to use gconf... they seem to be more ambitious then cautious, a stance which must be seen as good because it has already been decided that it is good, and to question it would result in flamming...

Spatial Nautilus was not experimental, whereas the Metacity composite integration is. I'll note that it's not enabled on my system and I've just run with the default config.

Oh, and btw, it's "flaming" to make implied assertions on how pretentious and arrogant people are because of the direction of a project. To disagree is different than to insult, no matter how subtly you form the insult.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
adastra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am waking up to a slow-ass Gnome 2.8 this morning as well. But to confirm what everyone is saying, just comment out the "Extensions" section in your xorg.conf and you'll be back to normal.

After I do that, 2.8 actually seems faster than 2.6 on some things AND they fixed that annoying bug of the panel getting the focus when you change desktops in the pager. SWEET!!
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME 2.8 is faster then 2.6, that much I know, and 2.9 is looking good in terms of getting GNOME to be even slimmer and faster.
choghok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Thanx! Reply with quote

You were right I had the composite on, now i turned it off and things look like normal. I am not a Gnome power user so I have not noticed any major changes since 2.6
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: