installing Linux without a monitor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
igor2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: installing Linux without a monitor Reply with quote

Is there a way to install Gentoo Linux on a (older) PC system without a monitor and use laptop as the install screen? If not, can this be done that with another distro and how? I will administer the system over the network once its installed so I don't mind going into some trouble during the installation process...

Thank you,
Igor
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few suggestions:

• You might be able to boot of the live CD, start SSH, and then continue from there by logging in. I don't know if SSH is on there or not, but just an idea.
  • You could boot off a special kernel that allows serial console support (maybe the CD does, I don't know) and do it that way
  • You could take the HD out of the desktop, install it on another desktop, then put it back when done. You should be able to find a cheap Parallel<->IDE or IDE<->USB adapter if you look around. The parallel one you should be able to get cheap at a used PC store. If you get a USB one, I'm not sure how you'd power the HD.
  • Does the computer already have an OS on it (a linux/bsd type) then you should be able to do it pretty easily.
  • Check out the alternate install method guide, they might have more info.

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
SeaPig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBCook wrote:
I have a few suggestions:

• You might be able to boot of the live CD, start SSH, and then continue from there by logging in. I don't know if SSH is on there or not, but just an idea.

Yes, sshd is on the liveCD.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: serial port Reply with quote

the livecd kernel has monitor on serial port enabled(i think)

just run a serial cable to another PC and open up a terminal program connected to the serial port. you get a fully function console that is capable of ncurses display, you can't run X but you can get gentoo installed.

also note that you can INSTALL X and set it up to allow XDCM for remote X Session OR just set your display DISPLAY ip.addy.of.screen:0 and use X over a network. its fairly speed on a 100Mb link at 16color, 1280x1024. you dont get DRI though, but i guess thats beyond the point of the question
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: