bittorrent/azureus performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: bittorrent/azureus performance Reply with quote

Anyone who's used em both, which has the best cpu performance?

I run it on my server now, which is rather slow, and normal bittorrent (btlaunchmanycurses) uses about 20% cpu resources constantly.

I was thinking maybe, just maybe I'd be better off with nxserver+azureus, also, if the performance would be atleast close to similar the added queue'ing abilities sure would be nice.
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that Azureus would use much more RAM that btlaunchmanycurses.py, I'm not sure about processor usage though. I do know however, that btlaunchmanycurses on my 600MHz C3 processor uses 0.1% of the processor, so either you have a really slow computer or something funny is going on.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's downloading to an encrypted drive ;), and memory that server has enough of... I just might have to try this.
KH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that Azureus is less CPU intensive - suspect that the main reason that it's so is because it's default file allocation is better (from a CPU rather than fragmentation perspective), and even an option to pre-allocate the whole file prior to download (less CPU and NO fragmentation). BT allocates disk space linearly but downloads randomly so it is constantly reorganizing the files on disk. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong....

The main reasons to use Azuereus are UDP tracker info, no-rehash resume, better torrent/seed management, on-the-fly capping .... and of course pretty graphs!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: