View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senso
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Total lockup, "Caps Lock" led flashing. Reply with quote

My problem seems to be different from other people here - that's why I'm reposting in a separate thread. Since a few weeks, my system *always* freezes when I exit a game. Not any game, Loki ones, mostly - could be OpenGL-related. Doom3, Medal of Honor, even the old Soldier of Fortune. Enemy Territory also crashes. Today I played about 1h30 of ET and it froze when I was actually playing (And winning! Damn!) "Normally", the second I exit the game, my mouse AND keyboard freeze. Right at the moment I'm dumped back into BlackBox. The "Caps Lock" led on the keyboard keeps flashing. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back, it still flashes. The mouse pointer is frozen and the only thing I can do is a hard reboot.

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon 2000+ XP
2.4.26-gentoo-r9
GeForce FX 5600T
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r3
X.0rg-6.8.0-r1
BlackBox

I would say it has to do with X.Org and/or a combination of X.Org with the nvidia driver... I use Firefox, but not gkrelmm. I don't have xscreensaver installed. I'm saying this because some people reported lockups while running these apps.

I am normally using a KVM switch, it thought it could be that. I removed it and same problem - Caps Lock light flashing endlessly.

Code:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0

Shows something about "Card Type: AGP". But on the other hand, "dmesg | grep agp" shows:
Code:

agpart: unsupported bridge
agpart: no supported devide found

/var/log/messages shows absolutely nothing, not a single log between starting ET and rebooting almost 2 hours later.

Dunno if the card could be the problem. I have MTRR enabled, I heard people saing it sometimes locked up machines... Overheating? I doubt it. A random crash would make me think about it but what amazes me is the keyboard led flashing. Anyone knows what could make that happen, even if you don't think it's related?
houtworm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps it is bad memory
I had the same, flashing led when my system froze. I had 3 simms, 2 were the same, so I remove the 3rd simm and the problems were gone :-)

Kees
AliasXZ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same prob here, caps lock key flashing etc when i exit Open-GL apps but my scroll lock also flashes... my hardware aint faulty, swapped it all...

im stuck :(

BIOS probs/wrong settings?
Lappy:
Macbook Pro 10.14.6
------------------------------
Please add (solved) to your first post when your issue is resolved 8)
soroh6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having this problem, I'm a bit too lazy at the moment to check the Caps Lock thing, but I had actually forgotten about this problem when I reinstalled Gentoo the other day.

It happens when I exit ET, X just locks up and I have to hard reset.

I'm on an Athlon 1800+, Asus v9280 nVidia based chipset (128mb, 8x). 512mb of ram.
I'm running gentoo-sources 2.4.28-r7. This happened before on my older 2.4.26 kernel, too. (also gentoo-sources)
AliasXZ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, i fixed mine by installing only the things i needed in the kernel (only nv stuff etc), updating linux headers, then recompiled glibc, making sure nvidia kernel and glx where the same latest version and it fixed it. Also use latest gentoo-dev-sources kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r4.

caps lock, scroll lock LED flash = kernel panic
Lappy:
Macbook Pro 10.14.6
------------------------------
Please add (solved) to your first post when your issue is resolved 8)

Last edited by AliasXZ on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Maybe your problem is related to those threads?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-227118-highlight-.html

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-237535-highlight-.html

As already mentioned, you are experiencing a kernel panic. I encountered exactly the same problems (crash when leaving GL-app) with a Geforce2 and kernel 2.4. The problem closed down to preemptiveness enabled in my 2.4 kernel (this option is only available on specially patched 2.4 kernels, like the ck/lck series and gentoo). Disable it and try if it helps or upgrade to kernel 2.6!

Good luck!
Markus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: