View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Dose anyone here use Dillo Reply with quote

I was searching the Internet for a open source web browser that would be similar to fire fox, looked all over, couldn't find any so someone recommended Dillio, I went to Dillos website and downloaded the latest version. I'm new with Linux and not sure if I may have downloaded the wrong extension or , what is wrong. websites look strange, they lack color,and the top of the web browser is showing a message that says> this page uses the non standard Meta Refresh tag. then gos on to say that> The HTML 4.01 Spec (7.4.4 ) recommends explicitly to avoid it

I'm guessing that the download is, maybe... corrupt or if Dilio needs a special plug in that would make web pages look normal.

Dillo is definitely fast, The only problem with it is that websites look strange as if Dillo is not recognizing or computable with certain coding/ scripts used by most websites.

Any idea what can be causing this problem
seank
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillo is small and fast, but it doesn't do the best job at displaying the pages ;p
finn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillo is very simple (and therefore very fast) browser, so don't expect it will render pages as perfectly as Gecko. It also lacks some importanat features, for me is important (for example) support for character encodings other than iso-8859-1 (utf-8, iso-8859-2, cp-1250...). So my favourite fast browser is links.
Eejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why developers in the Linux community enjoy making things so complicated.

What they really need to do is make a program that works to begin with then double, triple cheek to make sure the program works instead of flooding their websites with 30 or so different links, telling everyone well, "this download should work". if it don't, no biggie. all you have to do is waste another 5 hours of your precious time downloading, installing, compiling etc and if the last 30 didn't work give this one a try and if that one don't work I'll make another download then post it below the 30 other ones that didn't work for you from the beginning.

It's amazing, then they think that everyone knows how to use a C compiler I'm going to join the Linux community board of advisers and teach them that people like things plain and simple, if they take my advice more people will ditch Microsoft Windows and start using Linux.

I'm sure that links is an excellent web browser probably better then fire fox. The Linux community, not all but a lot of them make using Linux hard for people that don't have a degree in computer science.

So far SUSE Linux is the only Linux type operating system ( that I know of) in the Linux world with enough common since to realize that people don't like spending hours, hours and hours downloading, installing, compiling just to find out the program has a bug and will not work, it's ridiculous lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: