View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgmncwj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: SFTP and gnome 2.8 Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm having a pretty random problem since I emerged gnome 2.8. Ever since then I can't use Run Application to open sftp connections. I just returns the error that there is No default application availible. But I can use Connect to Server (from within a folder) just fine. Any ideas on how to fix this? I reemerged gnome-vfs but that didn't help.

Thanks.
roog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 'Run Application' applet won't start at all, try re-emerging gnome-panel, since 'Run Application' is part of it.
bgmncwj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Run Application' actually seems to work fine for applications (though I did try reemerging gnome-panel just to be sure). My problem seems to be with opening folders of any kind. If I goto Run Application and enter /mnt, for example, I get the error "Cannot display location 'file:///mnt/' Details: There is no default action associated with this location." The same error results for any folder (including SFTP). Does anybody know what I need to change to have gnome recognize folders as folders and not applications?

Thanks,
bgmncwj
roog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, but that's quite logical isn't it? You want to run an application, and '/mnt' is not an application. To circumvent this inconvenience, you could enter 'nautilus /mnt' in order to open the filemanager displaying the /mnt directory.

Concerning sftp, simply typing sftp won't do anything, because this command prints out some usage info. You need to run this in a terminal (the checkbox underneath) and you have to provide the options to connect to a ftp server, so:

Code:
sftp user@ftp.server.com

Last edited by roog on Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
cromero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why i use just a shell for any kind of file browsing... what error can u get from that if u really see what u're doing?
bgmncwj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I mention it as broken and not just working as designed is that it worked in Gnome 2.6. You could type in a folder and it would display, or you could type in sftp url (sftp://servername) and it would connect. So I'm assuming something's broken. Probably in a setting that changed from 2.6 to 2.8 and just wasn't updated.

Does anybody know where gnome stores the information on how to open certain file types?
v912485
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have the same problem. I want to connect to another machine with sftp using nautilus because I really like the drag & drop. This was working fine in Gnome 2.6 using gnome-vfs-sftp. But the new Gnome now suppose to support sftp natively. Unfortunately it does not seem to work for me. From the command line I can connect using sftp without any problem.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Tia,

Allan
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works fine for me, you do have gnome-vfs built with ssl support ? Either USE=ssl for openssl, or USE="-ssl gnutls" for gnutls ssl.
bgmncwj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That works great, just can't think of why I would've missed the ssl flag before.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: