User Mode Linux 'crashing' host system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: User Mode Linux 'crashing' host system Reply with quote

I've been getting problems with UML - I have installed uml before using a 2.4.x based kernel (on both the host and the UML) and it worked extremely well - although this was some time ago.

I have recently been setting up a UML using a 2.6 kernel (on both the UML and the host). The 2.6 UML system seemed to run slowley (when compared to what I was used to with my 2.4 experience), but I installed a gentoo install on a reiserfs disk image.

After running this for some time, I started getting system 'crashes' (as in the host system), drive light would be on, but no response from the system either over the network and keyboard. This usually seemed to happen over night. However the other day I 'caught' the system at a point seemingly before it crashed - it was very sluggish, and the culprit appeared to be kswapd0 which was using 99% of CPU time, stopping the UML instance from the uml_mconsole caused the problem to eventually resolve, but on restarting the instance the system once again became slow and non responsive. Oddly the uml process didn't show as having much memory in use in top.

One other (maybe useful) detail, the UML and host systems were sharing portage via NFS.

So my question is, has anyone else seen anything like this? If so what can I do to prevent it, I'm going to try a 2.4 UML instance and see if that helps, but I would like to use 2.6 as one of the reasons for setting up the instance was to experiment with some of the new 2.6 network capabillities.

Thanks.
Ranthog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there were problems with the 2.6.8 kernel and this, so that might be an issue. However, we do need the version of your kernel.
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UML kernel was built from sys-kernel/usermode-sources-2.6.8.1-r3 (I also had the same problems with r2)

Host kernel is 2.6.9, built from development-sources.

I'm in the process of trying to build a 2.4.26 UML kernel, but I'm getting the following error for some reason.

Code:

ld -r  init/main.o init/version.o init/do_mounts.o \
        --start-group \
        kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o arch/um/kernel/built-in.o arch
/um/sys-i386/built-in.o arch/um/os-Linux/built-in.o \
         drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o drivers/n
et/net.o drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o drivers/mtd/mtdlink
.o drivers/media/media.o arch/um/fs/built-in.o arch/um/drivers/built-in.o arch/u
m/os-Linux/drivers/drivers.o \
        net/network.o \
        /usr/src/uml/linux-2.4.26-uml1-r8/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
nm vmlinux | grep -v '\(compiled\)\|\(\.o$\)\|\( [aUw] \)\|\(\.\.ng$\)\|\(LASH[R
L]DI\)' | sort > System.map
mv vmlinux vmlinux.o
gcc -Wl,-T,arch/um/link.ld -static -Wl,--wrap,malloc -Wl,--wrap,free -Wl,--wrap,
calloc \
        -o linux arch/um/main.o vmlinux.o -L/usr/lib -lutil
vmlinux.o(.text+0x1d5ce0): In function `sscanf':
/usr/src/uml/linux-2.4.26-uml1-r8/lib/vsprintf.c:730: multiple definition of `ss
canf'
arch/um/kernel/tt/unmap_fin.o(.text+0x32130): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: W
arning: size of symbol `sscanf' changed from 33 in arch/um/kernel/tt/unmap_fin.o
 to 35 in vmlinux.o
vmlinux.o(.text+0x1d4cb0): In function `strpbrk':
/usr/src/uml/linux-2.4.26-uml1-r8/lib/string.c:280: multiple definition of `strp
brk'
arch/um/kernel/tt/unmap_fin.o(.text+0x34570): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: W
arning: size of symbol `strpbrk' changed from 179 in arch/um/kernel/tt/unmap_fin
.o to 82 in vmlinux.o
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: B
FD 2.14.90.0.8 20040114 assertion fail elf.c:3465
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [linux] Error 1
buggy_code
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Had exactly the same problem - played a little more with he config.
I am running a Gentoo 2.6.9 kernel with with skas3-v7.
I made sure I had a vanilla 2.4.27 kernel and applied the appropriate patches.
The first build attempt landed me with the same (or very similar looking) error.
Here are the changes I made to the .config file (using make menuconfig ARCH=um of course)
    General Setup -> Trace thread support <off>
    General Setup -> Statically linked ..... <off>
    General Setup -> Mangement console <off>

I turned these off as they didn't seem necessary to the system I was building. I was not sure wether it would have the disired effect - that is build the UML kernel.

Then
Code:
make linux ARCH=um
strip linux

The UML kernel built and is now running. I probably should go back and reverse the changes to see exactly what caused it to build!

Hope this helps,
Buggy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: