Screen resolution and mirrorselect 'command not found.'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheet0s 'n t0fu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Screen resolution and mirrorselect 'command not found.' Reply with quote

I'm doing a first-time Gentoo install from a minimal x86 LiveCD, using the Smp kernel since the standard 2.4 doesn't seem to want to recognize my Broadband modem from Comcast. The first problem that I run into during the install is with the screen resolution. When prompted for the video modes I enter
Code:
'scan'
after which comes up two or three more options for the larger monitor I use, I type in
Code:
'0123'
for the larger display, it works momentarily, then as fast as it works, it changes back to a resolution of what looks like 800 x 600. Thing is, my monitor supports up to a 1280 x 1024 resolution. I don't understand why it flickers back to the default mode almost instantly.

Note, this doesn't happen when I boot the default Gentoo kernel...but like I said that doesn't want to support my Internet connection; tried net-setup eth0, automatic and manually.

Second problem I have is, of course, mirrorselect. I use the command used in the handbook listed on this site and get back an error of:

Quote:
/mirrorselect: line 184: #: command not found

It will run through the entire list of some 150+ servers, which takes about thirty minutes each run, never connecting, just testing. So, I open the mirrorselect file with nano, jumping to line 184 which reads like this:

Quote:
$(wget -t 1 -C off -T 25 -O - $ {i}/distfiles/mirrorselect-test 2>/dev/null)

I assume it may be the "/dev/null" command, where only I as a slowly learning linux n00b, would think it ought to be "/dev/hdc2 or 4" -- my boot and root, respectively. I've searched through all the forums and postings and only found something remotely related where the mirrorselect is flawed and there was a download available, however the link for the download didn't work. Also when I try to enter in hdc2 or 4 in place of the "null" line, it won't save since it's a read only file.

I appreciate any and all input. Suggestions?
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which livecd are you using 2004.2 or 2004.3?
cheet0s 'n t0fu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Live CD 2004.1. I had one last CD-RW sitting around I was able to throw it on. I've thought about restarting the install using 2004.2, but I've read some posts here on the forum about a lot of bug issues with it so I haven't bothered.

Using a 1Ghz Pentium 3.
128MB SDRAM.
30Gb primary drive, and additional 120Gb Maxtor for storage.
Using XP on Hdc1 for the dual-boot, if I ever get that far!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: