View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoodoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Gnome weirdness Reply with quote

Two problems that hopefully someone can point out a quick fix for:

I have a main panel at the bottom of my screen it contains a drawer with some stuff in it. When I click to open the drawer I can not see anything. If I movet he panel to the top of the screen it will open downward and I can access its contents so I know there is stuff in it. Put it back down at the bottom and nothing happens when clicking on it. Any ideas?

Also how can I edit a main menu. According to a Gnome FAQ I found there should be a "Settings" submenu and it should contain an access to the Menu Configuration tool that Gnome provides. I do not see this in Gentoo's version of Gnome. In the screen shot I saw the Settings submenu should be just right along with "System Tools" under "Applications" of the main menu.

Any ideas appreciated.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome weirdness Reply with quote

voodoodoc wrote:

Also how can I edit a main menu. According to a Gnome FAQ I found there should be a "Settings" submenu and it should contain an access to the Menu Configuration tool that Gnome provides. I do not see this in Gentoo's version of Gnome. In the screen shot I saw the Settings submenu should be just right along with "System Tools" under "Applications" of the main menu.

to edit the gnome main menu (the one with all the applications) you can go to
Code:
start-here:

in nautilus. :)
voodoodoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I killed that long ago. Perhaps you could tell me what command is run when you dbl click on the apprpriate item in "Start Here:"
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoodoc wrote:
I killed that long ago. Perhaps you could tell me what command is run when you dbl click on the apprpriate item in "Start Here:"

i killed mine to a long ago. what i was telling you was exactly the command to run. open nautilus and write on the address bar:
Code:
start-here:///

voodoodoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for clearing that up,
Quote:
pen nautilus and write on the address bar:
I have no address bar, must have turned it off somewhere, but I actually just found the Start-Here guy sittin in the trashcan. Assume I gotta restart Gnome for changes to take effect which I can't do for a while but thanks. That looks like it will solve one of my problems.
spqrdecker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you do not need to kill Gnome; you just need to kill the panel. So just open up xterm (or whatever you use) and type: "killall -9 gnome-panel". After being killed, the panel will automatically restart using the new menu entries.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoodoc wrote:
I have no address bar, must have turned it off somewhere

in nautilus, View -> "Location Bar". quite easy, huh? :)
voodoodoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaha, these darn fancy graphical environments.

Any idea on why the drawer opens upside down? I am running a dual head display using Nvidia's twinview. Don't know if that could cause any wonkiness or not. I bet it could since when I put it at the top of th screen of the left monitor the drawer opens at the top of the sceen on the the right monitor.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoodoc wrote:
Ahaha, these darn fancy graphical environments.

Any idea on why the drawer opens upside down? I am running a dual head display using Nvidia's twinview. Don't know if that could cause any wonkiness or not. I bet it could since when I put it at the top of th screen of the left monitor the drawer opens at the top of the sceen on the the right monitor.

i really have no experience in what comes to twinview (except for disabling it :D), but it works correctly over here. can you try disabling it to see if it works? :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: