Advice for Kernel Upgrade?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Advice for Kernel Upgrade? Reply with quote

As it stands, I'm running dev-sources-2.6.4 on my Tyan Thunder K8W and I'm mostly happy with it, but there are a few issues, seemingly unresolvable:
  • nvidia drivers don't like it: It just flat-out refuses to detect the 2.6.4 kernel.
  • latency: Performance is generally blazing fast, but every once in awhile there is ths odd... 'tic' is the only way I can describe it, where the system pauses a moment then resumes doing things at it's normal merry speed. This is especially evident in flash.
  • radeon: Every once in a blue moon the radeon driver decides to stop working, and X falls back to software on everything. Usually I can rmmod -f and re-probe it to fix it, but sometimes trying that gets it stuck waiting in driver mode.
  • rngd: When I tried to run seti multithreaded, un-niced CPU usage increased a /lot/. Checking top showed that the cuprit was actually rngd, which was happily consuming CPU time for no apparent reason.
  • growisofs: This one I know is a kernel issue, if I burn a multisession DVD-R > 2GB mount fails on it, sometimes locking the entire system.
  • missing symbols in firewire module: Luckily I don't need firewire, but it'd be nice to have there if I wanted it.
Since I haven't found any obvious solution for any of these(feel free to prove me wrong :D), I'm guessing these are kernel issues.

I suppose my kernel is getting a bit old by now, but my last upgrade attempt was not a happy experience -- no less than three of my modules had been renamed, lm-sensors stopped giving sane values, and trying to emerge nvidia-kernel caused a filesystem oops! 8O Luckily no permanent damage, yay for reiserfs, but I ditched that kernel and didn't look back.

Any advice on what kernel I should upgrade to next, before I brave the waters again?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

I can't vouch for any of the issues you have, but I normally test a lot of kernels and I'm currently running mm-sources for all my needs. 2.6.10-rc2-mm1 is the current i use and it works like a charm and handles all my hw fine on AMD64.

I still have a bunch of older kernels laying around in my /boot partition and I always leave working kernels in my grub.conf so in case a new kernel failes, I can just reboot and select and older working kernel in order to boot the machine.

Try a newer kernel and see if it works on your HW, but don't get rid of your current working one.

Erik
Lore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em, to the newest kernel perhaps? What exactly is your problem?

Maybe, you want to wait until this issues with root and cd-burning are solved (~2.6.10-2.6.11).
Or you want to wait for reiser4 support (~2.6.15-20).

A really good branch is the 2.6.7 series.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I can't vouch for any of the issues you have, but I normally test a lot of kernels and I'm currently running mm-sources for all my needs. 2.6.10-rc2-mm1 is the current i use and it works like a charm and handles all my hw fine on AMD64.
I got told quite sternly that I couldn't expect to get any help at all if I used mm-sources, so unless that's changed that's not an option, sadly. :(
Quote:
I still have a bunch of older kernels laying around in my /boot partition and I always leave working kernels in my grub.conf so in case a new kernel failes, I can just reboot and select and older working kernel in order to boot the machine.
Oh absolutely. I've got several versions of 2.6.4 alone under /boot, I never replace.
Lore wrote:
Em, to the newest kernel perhaps? What exactly is your problem?
My problem is, last time I tried upgrading my kernel(I think I tried 2.6.8 or 2.6.9) lots of stuff just plain Didn't Work(tm), they'd renamed 3 of my modules on me, and it nearly killed my filesystem. Not an experience I wish to repeat.
Quote:
Maybe, you want to wait until this issues with root and cd-burning are solved (~2.6.10-2.6.11).
Or you want to wait for reiser4 support (~2.6.15-20).
But the longer I wait, the more modules they're going to rename on me. That's a real pain.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
I got told quite sternly that I couldn't expect to get any help at all if I used mm-sources, so unless that's changed that's not an option, sadly. :(

Help from whom?
Here?

I have never had any problems getting help with issues even though I have been using mm-sources as my main kernel both on x86 and amd64.

Erik
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Help from whom?
Here?
The IRC chan. I admit the forum is far friendlier. :)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
Help from whom?
Here?
The IRC chan. I admit the forum is far friendlier. :)

Hmmm... Oh well, I never use IRC anyway.

Please feel free to post any problems with any kernel your try here and I will try to help if I can and I'm sure a lot of others using various kernel falvours will too.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: