ha ha! time for more banal questions from "the nugget&q
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: ha ha! time for more banal questions from "the nugget&q Reply with quote

So, I managed to screw up the install that I had last weekend.

I'm trying to be more methodical (unlike me, I usually go charging in, where angels fear to tread, then wonder why I've made another "balls up" !).

So, filesystems/block devices etc. Now I've no intention of changing my partitioning scheme, as it seems to have worked OK in the past i.e. /boot, /swap, /root and /home.

I don't think that I need to touch the /home, but I intended making /root reiserfs (doubt/don't know if that'd make any difference), so after I've done that, when it comes to mounting partitions etc, I follow the install guide (got a version printed off), but as well as mounting /boot, /root and activating /swap, do I need to mount the /home partition as well ???

Then I can get on with the next bit OK, but when it's time to "Configure Compile Options", and I have to put the USE (or is it cflags - the bit where I put in the little name/word listings, which would be USE flags further into learning the system, I just don't follow if the name is the same when I'm putting them into the make.conf at this early stage of install), do I put in all the ones that I think I'll need? In fact as I don't know too much about all this and I'll be taking "the easy way out" with a stage 3 +GRP install, using genkernel (yes I've managed to pick up a small bit of knowledge about kernels and stuff, I just don't think I know enough to do that manually) do the USE flags etc etc make any difference in the make.conf if I'm using genkernel ???

Oh yeah, that's what I've been meaning to ask, Whats the difference between hostname/domainname and nisdomainname ??? So I know what the system and/or machine is going to be called??

Sorry if my questions seem to be jumping a bit backwards and forwards (that's how I think of them in the first place - and I've got a memory like a sieve!), FSTAB's when righting my fstab, I know that I need to include the /boot, /swap and /root, I suspect that I must also have an entry for my /home, but that's why I put the question in above about mounting my /home when doing the filesystems/block devices part of the install i.e. should I have already mounted the /home ? or does it automatically mount when I've put the entry for it in the /etc/fstab ???

Yup, I think that's about all I need to ask at this stage, I'm gonna go through my printed handbook now, with a highlighter so I can't (theoretically) make a mistake!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

regards

John

Last edited by bigjohn on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll try for the ones I think I know:

Yes, you'll need to make an fstab entry for /home since you have it as a separate partition. And for installation, you should mount /home. At least that's what I did.

As for USE flags, it'll take more storage space, but if that isn't an issue, then put in all the flags you could foresee needing.

And on something you didn't directly ask, building a kernel scared me off for a long time, but it's actually really simple and takes only about five minutes (and several more minutes for your computer to build it). Just follow the instructions in the handbook word-for-word. If I can do it, you can, too. Trust me.
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum, you're probably right. When I busy screwing up my last install, one of the things that didn't get built was lp printer support - parallel support was there, but I'd have thought that lp support would have been by default.

I did end up doing a sort of rebuild, though that might have just been compiling a module and activating the support - I forget (well, not so much as forget, as not really know the names and terminology for stuff).

So, trying to think logically, if I'm just installing, and that install goes to the /root partition, apart from needing an entry in the /etc/fstab, why would I need to mount my /home partition at that stage ? I don't quite follow, or is it that I have to mount things at the install stage, so that the completed installation knows what I want started, or be able to boot into ???

regards

John
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
I did end up doing a sort of rebuild, though that might have just been compiling a module and activating the support

When using genkernel before, I'd had to do the same thing, though with different types of hardware. And that's what showed me that building my own kernel was easy. All you have to do is the same ol' "cd /usr/src/linux", "make config", etc. stuff, and enable support for anything you want/need. Then, you copy it over to /boot. It works just the same as when you had to compile lp support into the genkernel. Just look at this, and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you've been able to run menuconfig, etc. successfully before, then this'll just be more of the same.

bigjohn wrote:

So, trying to think logically, if I'm just installing, and that install goes to the /root partition, apart from needing an entry in the /etc/fstab, why would I need to mount my /home partition at that stage ?

I have no idea if you really need to or not. I'm just saying that I did so, and everything turned out fine. I mean, do you have a reason not to mount it right now?
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palsyboy wrote:
bigjohn wrote:
I did end up doing a sort of rebuild, though that might have just been compiling a module and activating the support

When using genkernel before, I'd had to do the same thing, though with different types of hardware. And that's what showed me that building my own kernel was easy. All you have to do is the same ol' "cd /usr/src/linux", "make config", etc. stuff, and enable support for anything you want/need. Then, you copy it over to /boot. It works just the same as when you had to compile lp support into the genkernel. Just look at this, and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you've been able to run menuconfig, etc. successfully before, then this'll just be more of the same.

bigjohn wrote:

So, trying to think logically, if I'm just installing, and that install goes to the /root partition, apart from needing an entry in the /etc/fstab, why would I need to mount my /home partition at that stage ?

I have no idea if you really need to or not. I'm just saying that I did so, and everything turned out fine. I mean, do you have a reason not to mount it right now?

Hum. I seem to recall that that's the bit I used to add the lp support. Though I recall thinking that I'm glad I didn't have to do all that myself, because there's so many options that I know absolutely nothing about. I'd be bound to forget to select something important 8O Also, I couldn't find anything about whether I should include all the USE flags that I might need before or after i.e. because if I added them before/during the base system install, would I need to run through all that again, or would it mean that to have used them before/during base system install, that genkernel would/should use them as a guide of the various support options I'll need eventually when I've got the app's that I use installed?

And OK your question about mounting the /home partition too start with? I see what you mean, as no, I don't have any reason as to why I shouldn't mount it, but I'd imagine that i need to make a mount point for it as well? I just don't follow why I'd need to, as surely, I'm installing the actual system to the /root partition, and if I then make sure that I've included the /home partition in the /etc/fstab, then it would automagically mount it after I've finished installing the rest of the system (ha, while the gentoo doc's are very good, compared to lot's of stuff thats "out there", theres stuff that seems to go "unread"!).

regards

John
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

Hum. I seem to recall that that's the bit I used to add the lp support. Though I recall thinking that I'm glad I didn't have to do all that myself, because there's so many options that I know absolutely nothing about. I'd be bound to forget to select something important.

No, seriously, it's not that hard. Read the page I referred to. It tells you everything you need to put in, and there really isn't all that much. And hell, even if you somehow do mess it up, you can always redo it quite quickly. Just try it. Search for posts with author "palsyboy," and you'll see that I'm still very much a n00b. This is why I tell you that it really isn't all that hard. If I can figure it out, you can, too.

bigjohn wrote:

Also, I couldn't find anything about whether I should include all the USE flags that I might need before or after

Write your USE flags beforehand. You'll need to write your make.conf, anyway, so you might as well take an extra ten minutes and carefully enter the flags. Otherwise, as you suggest, you would have to recompile everything around them again. It would just waste a massive amount of time.

bigjohn wrote:

I don't have any reason as to why I shouldn't mount it, but I'd imagine that i need to make a mount point for it as well? I just don't follow why I'd need to, as surely, I'm installing the actual system to the /root partition, and if I then make sure that I've included the /home partition in the /etc/fstab, then it would automagically mount it after I've finished installing the rest of the system.

Once again, it just makes things simpler to mount it in the first place. At section 4.e.:
Code:

# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/home
# mount /dev/hda4 [or whatever your hdd's device name is] /mnt/gentoo/home

Just add those two lines, and everything's butter. Why not do it?
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for an update - afterall, someone might actually find this useful (perhaps not! 8O ).

I ended up going back to square one, and then tried what you suggested palsyboy, unfortunately, I did go through all the various options for a manual compile of the kernel, but there was just too much stuff in there that, quite frankly I don't have a "scooby" about, so I didn't bother to save any of the changes, and just did emerge genkernel, and ran genkernel all i.e. I took the cowards way out.

Since then I have managed to make some progress. Some problems with the x server, and I had to remerge xorg, and then for some reason, the system didn't like the extra line that i have to put into the xorg.conf to make my mouse scroll (the ZAxisMapping "4 5" line) so for the moment, I've got that commented out.

I've managed to over come a couple of strange ones. I seem to remember setting the mirrorselect facility as per the handbook, but I must have included ipv6 support in there somewhere, and as the mirror select had decided it liked some servers in the Netherlands, that don't seem to like the version 6 IP protocols and kept failing at connection, I ended up deleting the mirrorselect line from the rc.conf and then commenting the line that included the ipv6 support in the make.conf right now, the system is ploughing its way through 244 different updates identified by "emerge --update --deep world"

Once it's finished that I'll remod the xorg.conf so the ZAxis mapping line is back in for the mouse to scroll again (ha, maybe :D),

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

regards

John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: