Gentoo and Linux-abi [SOLVED - I'm an idiot]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Gentoo and Linux-abi [SOLVED - I'm an idiot] Reply with quote

Ok i've been working on this for a few days, and with no luck. Anyone have a clue how i can make linux-abi work with Gentoo...or know another way that i could get a similar effect? I have a program i'm trying to run, on our Redhat systems 7.1 and greater i had to do this to get it to run (which i just added to the startup)

modprobe abi-ibcs
modprobe abi-cxenix
modprobe abi-sco
modprobe binfmt_xout
modprobe binfmt_coff

and so on....

so any ideas?

-------------------------------Here is the solution-----------------------------------------------

Ok, so i was completely overlooking the patch for the 2.6.9 kernel..i found it and now i'm just gonna work on getting my term to display correctly, and i'm done...thanks for all the suggestions

Last edited by likeableguy on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I' m sorry I can't keep quiet. I can't really help you out, seeing that I don't know anything aboiut linux-abi (don't even know what it is), but I feel I have to point out to you that the correct way to automatically load those modules is adding them to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-<2.4 or 2.6 dependant on your kernel>

Just add the modules without modprobe in front:

abi-ibcs
abi-cxenix

That being said your way should give the same results, it's just a bit of a dirty hack :)
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that was for Redhat...i need the same dirty hack for Gentoo if i can figure it out...
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the problem is. Do you only want to know how to load those modules under gentoo? Or are you experiencing another problem. Like I pointed out to load those modules add them to:
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-<2.4 or 2.6 dependant on your kernel>
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if i could find those modules i'm not sure if they would work the way i wanted them too...in Gentoo...although i guess i should give that a try...here is what i'm going to try to do

1. Find those modules on the Redhat installation (somehow)
2. Move them to the Gentoo installation
3. Do what you suggested in the first post and see what happens

Thanks i'll reply back with my results
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I checked out what linux abi is :) I see it's a kernel patch. First of all the patch only seems to be available for 2.4 kernels. So make sure you use one of them (for example emerge gentoo-sources). Then download the patch that corresponts with your kernel version from here: http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
patch the kernel (I'm not sure about the precise commando but a forum search for patch kernel; should help you out)
compile the kernel and
add the modules to autoload.
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright,

Added them into my modules.d directory, and did modules.update, and the modules.conf file is garbaged now...so i don't know if i did that correctly or not...but that didn't work..any ideas?
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, now i tried to patch the kernel before..but i'm using a 2.6 kernel..i'll do the 2.4 kernel and let ya know what happens!...thanks again
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this post :)
BlackEdder wrote:
Ok I checked out what linux abi is :) I see it's a kernel patch. First of all the patch only seems to be available for 2.4 kernels. So make sure you use one of them (for example emerge gentoo-sources). Then download the patch that corresponts with your kernel version from here: http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
patch the kernel (I'm not sure about the precise commando but a forum search for patch kernel; should help you out)
compile the kernel and
add the modules to autoload.
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok no luck that way...the patch failed numerous times, so i tried a different patch, same thing happened... :cry:
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is going to be a disaster or not (probably is)..but i'm downloading the kernel they suggested from kernel.org and i'm gonna just "see what happens" i don't like the idea of not emerging a kernel...
likeableguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is what i did, and this worked but not the results i'd like

I downloaded a kernel that i could successfully patch, (which didn't have framebuffer support)..then i booted into that kernel, and everything worked (the term isn't right but i wasn't concerned with that, i can fix that later)..but without framebuffer support it defeats the purpose of what i was attempting to do...I wanted framebuffer support, with fbsplash (which i have working in 2.6.9-gentoo-r4) but i wanted the linux-abi support so i can run this horrible program..what i'm looking for now is for some way to get those modules (abi-ibcs, abi-cxenix, abi-machdep, abi-sco, binfmt_xout, binfmt_coff to compile on the 2.6.9-gentoo-r4 kernel, so i can have my cake and eat it too...any ideas?

Steve
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: