Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.B.Haydar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

i bought this Dell P3-800 Optiplex with 128MB of memory and a DVD-ROM (but no HD, monitor, KB or mouse) about a year ago at a computer show for $100. It had just come off of a government lease.

. . .

Bob

Ha! Ours were donated by the DOJ, they have this warning on boot that the cover had been previously removed but nothing can be done to make it go away!
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as root, when you do a
Code:
cat /dev/mouse

do you see a bunch of garbage come up as you move the mouse?
Heliode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun wrote:
Quote:
Call me crazy, but here NOT renaming the config file gave the same results as before, while renaming it to xorg.conf finially let me startx! thanks to all!!

I know that if you had a xorg.conf and the old XF86Config-4 that the xorg.conf will take precidence.

When I placed the XF86Config-4 file, there wasn't a xorg.conf yet. However, it still didn't use the XF86Config-4 file; I had to rename it to xorg.conf first. Not that it matters, but I just thought it might be of interest to you.

As far as mice ar concerned, I seem to be a bit more lucky; my mouse worked straight away (Logitech MX1000 8) ). The scrollwheel, however, doesn't work.... but i'm sure i'll figure something out for that sooner or later :wink: . In any case, thanks for your help!

Spec hightlights:
Pentium IV 3000 mhz HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Logitech MX1000
And a total of 520 GB of HD space
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mx1000 eh? I've heard interesting things about that mouse. If it weren't cordless I'd hit it (as I'm a gamer)

as far as the wheel goes, in my experience it's a matter of trying different drivers until it works (in xorg.conf)

I'm sure a simple search for logitech mice will yield several good threads on getting all them buttons working too.

Thanks for the xorg.conf info.
Heliode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun wrote:
mx1000 eh? I've heard interesting things about that mouse. If it weren't cordless I'd hit it (as I'm a gamer)

as far as the wheel goes, in my experience it's a matter of trying different drivers until it works (in xorg.conf)

I'm sure a simple search for logitech mice will yield several good threads on getting all them buttons working too.

Thanks for the xorg.conf info.

Right now my 'top priority' is getting my soundcard working. After that I'll try looking around on the forum about the mouse. A question though; are you familiar with any kind of tutorial for driver management for linux in general and/or gentoo in particular? Some of the posts I need to make, make me feel like more of a noob than I should be, regarding my experiance :roll:

[off-topic] The MX1000 has more improvements over regular mice, other then the laser. It also uses Fast-RF, which should reduce the lagg that is often caused by the use of cordless mice. Personally, i'm quite a fan of UT (classic), and I couldn't notice any lagg at all. If its because of the power that you're doubting; the mouse has an internal lithium-ion battery (which never needs to be replaced) and a 3-step battery-level indicator. At the moment I haven't had it in the charger for 1,5 week, and it still indicates a full battery. Other than that, it has improved shape (since the other MXes), and a scrollwheel which tilts sideways, for side-scrolling (which I find very handy when coding).

oh and Logitech is not paying me to say that :lol:
[/off-topic]

Spec hightlights:
Pentium IV 3000 mhz HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Logitech MX1000
And a total of 520 GB of HD space
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun wrote:
as root, when you do a
Code:
cat /dev/mouse

do you see a bunch of garbage come up as you move the mouse?

well now, this is interesting:
Code:
gentoo # cat /dev/mouse

cat /dev/mouse: No such file or directory.

gentoo #

looking at /dev, there are no mouse nodes. the closest thing is a symlink for /dev/psaux that points to /dev/misc/psaux. but using that that device doesn't get the mouse working in Xorg either. :x
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.B.Haydar wrote:
Bob P wrote:

i bought this Dell P3-800 Optiplex with 128MB of memory and a DVD-ROM (but no HD, monitor, KB or mouse) about a year ago at a computer show for $100. It had just come off of a government lease.

. . .

Bob

Ha! Ours were donated by the DOJ, they have this warning on boot that the cover had been previously removed but nothing can be done to make it go away!

it figures. the government keeps finding new ways to stick it to us. this time, they used an OptiPlex! :lol:

you may be able to disable that warning. did you look at the BIOS setting for System Security? Open that menu and try turning "Chassis Intrusion" off.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliode wrote:

A question though; are you familiar with any kind of tutorial for driver management for linux in general and/or gentoo in particular? Some of the posts I need to make, make me feel like more of a noob than I should be, regarding my experiance :roll:

In my experience, driver management isn't like C:\windows\system32 where every driver likes to sit. But (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the linux philosophy is that of legos, where your given a big bucket, and you have to fit your own pieces together. When you compile your kernel, you compile the specific peices for your computer, then when you boot up, your computer can "see" the peices. After that, other software will latch on to those (under /dev). So to answer your question, there is driver management, but every componet (sound, video, harddrives, etc) will have it's own driver management. And what sucks is that there is no conformity between them. Thats why people make How-to's.

I just saw this post:
Quote:
looking at /dev, there are no mouse nodes. the closest thing is a symlink for /dev/psaux that points to /dev/misc/psaux. but using that that device doesn't get the mouse working in Xorg either. Mad

Are you sure when you compiled your kernel that under inputs (I believe it's called "character devices") you had /dev/mouse selected... I know I've heard of people making that mistake before...
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun wrote:
Are you sure when you compiled your kernel that under inputs (I believe it's called "character devices") you had /dev/mouse selected... I know I've heard of people making that mistake before...

yes, i already noted that potential problem as being a non-issue in the other thread. if i am not mistaken, compiling the kernel doesn't create the driver nodes, does it?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLVED!

kernel 2.4 puts the device driver node here: /dev/mouse

kernel 2.6 puts the device driver node here: /dev/input/mice
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: