Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Please help me plan my Gentoo installation.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Please help me plan my Gentoo installation. Reply with quote

Most importantly I need to know what USE flags I should set. Also, please respond with any considerations given the following specs.

Software I am (will be) using:

01: KDE
02: XFCE (maybe)
03: K3b
04: The GIMP (& gimp-print)
05: Blender
06: Inkscape
07: Frontline (& autotrace)
08: Scribus
09: XSane
10: Ghostscript
11: OpenOffice
12: Cups (HP PhotoSmart 7350 ... USB)
13: Gaim
14: XChat
15: Kaffeine (avi / mpg / divx support for sure)
16: Grip (or similar GUI based cd ripper / encoder)
17: Audacity
18: Soundtracker
19: XMMS (need mp3, and ogg support)
20: Firefox / Thunderbird
21: Enemy Territory
22: Savage
23: UT2004
24: QERadiant game map editor
25: XQF game browser
26: Firestarter GUI for IPTables firewall
27: F-Prot AV
28: eventually I will install video editing software(s) (see below)

Hardware I am (will be) using:

01: P4 2.4Ghz
02: 512mb DDR
03: 30gb HD (attached to promise controller)
04: Promise ATA133 card
05: 52x Memorex CDRW (attached to MB)
06: second HD with NTFS (attached to MB) (I don't necessarily require read write, but maybe it would be useful? Dual-boot maybe?)
07: USB digital camera (mass storage)
08: Nvidia GForce 4200Ti 64mb
09: SB Live! sound card
10: Logitech MX510 Gaming mouse ... USB
11: Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard ... USB
12: Canon FB620P scanner ... parallel port
13: HP PhotoSmart 7350 ... USB
14: I plan to install a Canopus ADVC-50 capture card (or another Linux supported capture device ... recommendations?)

NOTES:

01: What USE flags should I set given these specs?
02: I will not be using GNOME.
03: What is NPTL? and what should I know about it before I begin installing Gentoo?
04: Sometimes my GIMP files exceed 500-768mb. (again, my system only has 512mb DDR)
05: I require optimal 3D game performance
06: I require optimal 2D editing performance (I don't do so much 3D editing work. EG: Blender ETC)
07: Maybe a generic list of suggested USE variables for specific systems should be created? EG: game / 3D workstation, or office workstation ETC.
08: I'm fairly new to Gentoo. I have successfully installed it on a couple occasions, although I'm quite sure not to its true potential.

Last edited by roebots on Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

my suggestion is to read the gentoo docs until you start feeling like you have a handle on how portage works, then get your hands dirty! chances are you won't do any irreversible damage to your system. if you run into problems, come back here an ask specific questions.

good luck.
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please re-read my post. Thank you.
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know enough to answer most of your questions, but may I suggest using MPlayer as well as Kaffeine? They complement each other well.

And not that it'll necessarily help, but here's my USE list:
Code:

X acpi aim alsa apache2 apm arts avi bonobo cdr crypt cups dga directfb divx4linux dvd dvdr encode esd ethereal evo fbcon fftw flac flash foomaticdb gd -gdbm ggi gif gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imagemagick imap imlib innodb jabber java jikes joystick jpeg kde lcms libwww mad memlimit mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg nas ncurses odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam pda pdflib png postgres ppds qt quicktimereadline samba sasl scanner sdl slp ssl svg svga szip tcpd theora tiff truetype unicode usb wmf xinerama xml xml2 xosd xv xvid yahoo zlib

I don't know if that'll be useful to you, but I have a fairly similar system to yours.
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you palsyboy. Thats exactly the sort of info I'm after.

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on those USE options, and where did you find that they were available? Even more, clear, easy to understand definitions of them?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roebots wrote:

What was the problem with SerfurJ's answer?
Please read the fine manuals, we have plenty of them and they are good. If I read your question, I get the impression you never even touched the documentation, so start doing so
Sorry for the harsh tone here
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roebots wrote:

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on those USE options, and where did you find that they were available? Even more, clear, easy to understand definitions of them?

Again, read the documentation, for example here

Ok ok, I stop the rtfm'ing :P
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
roebots wrote:

Please read the fine manuals, we have plenty of them and they are good. If I read your question, I get the impression you never even touched the documentation, so start doing so

I apologize for any confusion. Please read on...

Understand that I have read the documentation concerning USE flags (being my primary question), and am still confused ... hence my post.

Also the follow online doc does not give me suggestions on USE flags reflecting my system specs like im asking:

(edit) Woops ... from this link: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

Last edited by roebots on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
roebots wrote:

Perfect. THANK YOU! And please dont be so defensive. I am, after all, only asking for help.

:D
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roebots wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
roebots wrote:

I apologize for any confusion. Please read on...

Understand that I have read the documentation concerning USE flags (being my primary question), and am still confused ... hence my post.

Also the follow online doc does not give me suggestions on USE flags reflecting my system specs like im asking:

Ah, well, USE flags aren't really life important, they are convenient, but nothing more. So if you don't figure it out yet, there is nothing lost really.
Anyway, the General idea of a USE flag is that it optimizes software for what you need. So if you have KDE installed and don't anything Gnome or GTK related, you simply put USE="-gnome -gtk -gtk2" in your /etc/make.conf file. It's that simple really.
Anyway, is it really neceserry to paste an entire tutorial inhere?
cheers
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roebots wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
roebots wrote:

Perfect. THANK YOU! And please dont be so defensive. I am, after all, only asking for help.

:D

Ah nevermind the defensive thing, I just get a little grumpy when someone reacts like "please reread my post, thank you" on a perfectly good answer :P :)
cheers
roebots
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. Here is a USE flag list I threw together from the info you all have posted. Please let me know if its too much, or too little:

USE="x86 X Xaw3d acpi alsa apm arts audiofile avi bmp cdr crypt cups dga directfb divx4linux dvd dvdr encode esd ethereal evo exif fam fbcon fdftk fftw firebird flac flash foomaticdb gd -gdbm ggi gif gnome gnustep gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hardened imagemagick imap imlib inifile ipv6 jack java jikes joystick jpeg kde kdexdeltas kerberos krb4 lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg nas ncurses nls nocd oggvorbis openal opengl oss pam pdflib perl plotutils png portaudio prelude python qt quicktime readline sasl scanner sdl slang slp sndfile speex spell sse ssl svg svga szip tcpd theora tiff truetype unicode usb videos wmf X xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xv xvid yahoo zlib"
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roebots wrote:
Ah thank you palsyboy.

No problem. :)

roebots wrote:

Actually, one of my friends gave me his list, as he and I have similar systems and similar needs. Only retroactively did I figure them out (or rather, most of - some of them I still don't know if I need, but I have the storage to spare, so it doesn't affect me), and I decided that his choices didn't need alteration. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to go about choosing, but I got it together eventually.

In reference to "-gdbm", that's a partial solution to a perl dependency problem which many Gentoo users run into on their install. Examples can be found here and here. I did add that in myself.

As for more detailed descriptions, I have yet to see any, so I can only determine some of the more obvious (to me) ones: opengl, jpeg, mozilla, etc. I'm still quite a n00b.

Additionally, if this thread grows, it may prove useful to you.

And I understand what you're going through, roebots. I always RTFM, but I usually only understand sixty percent of it, so I have to ask for help to clarify what's going on.
mcdermottpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the thread here and thought I'd make a few observations. I have a very small USE flag list in make.conf (stuff like -kde) and have chosen instead to use /etc/portage/package.use. I like having finer grained control over my use flag choices. One of the things I learned early on was to always do a "emerge -pv {package}" to see what portage wanted to install first. Then I research what I don't understand at gentoo-portage.com, add to my package.use and emerge. I'm new to Gentoo so I don't know if this is really the "Gentoo Way" but it's worked for me.
#19.There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
#54. Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: