PPC64 returning from prom_init
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ie7113
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: PPC64 returning from prom_init Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a stock dual 1.8 powermac G5 that I am attempting to install PPC64 (2004.3) on. I am familiar with Gentoo on i386, but this is my first PPC attempt. I have tried several bare metal reinstalls (Gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.8-gentoo-r3) and now consistently get to the point where I go through yaboot stage 1 and start to load the kernel where I get the following error message on a white screen.

…done
calling quiesce……
returning from prom_init

where it just hangs and eventually the fans go to full speed.

I am assuming I have something wrong in the menuconfig. I am trying to do a methodical by the book install, as best I can. There are a few sections where the options in the makemenu kernel config do not match the installation guide, but I tried to make the best match.

Does anyone have a working 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 .config that I can compare my setup to?

BTW, mkofboot –v and ybin –v return an error that I cannot write to nvram. I read the man page for yaboot.conf and added the line nonvram because I have the device in the config file and ybin seems to find it and write to the bootloader partion fine.

I flashed Open Firmaware to make sure everything was set to default and did a complete reinstall and got to the same place with the same errors….

Any ideas?
sivad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a working installation on a powermac dp 1.8 G5. I was able to compile functioning kernels using gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 branch. I simply copied the g5_default configuration ( I think it is in arch/ppc64/configs/g5_config ) and ran make menuconfig. Then it is necessary to add devfs option to make a bootable kernel (under File Systems -> pseudofilesystems -> enable_devfs or something like that).

I am currently running 2.6.10-mm because on my model (7,3) there is a patch for the fan control that is on the live-CD kernel but not in dev-sources (up to 2.6.9-r3 at least). I emerge 2.6.10-rc1_mm and compiled the kernel, again using the default g5 configuration with the devfs added.
ie7113
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I loaded 2.6.10-rc2 and used the G5 config in arch/ppc64/configs made sure devfs was selected, updated ybin and wow! it booted!!

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: