Emerging Issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melchiorus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Emerging Issues Reply with quote

I've been interested in Gentoo for a while now and installed it on my laptop once before. However, things came up and I needed a usable laptop immediately (I was in the works of fixing ACPI on Gentoo and it wasn't exactly usable to me) so I went back to Windows (sad story).

Anyway, I'm back to wanting to install it again and I'm doing fine up to the point of emerging most things. I tried emerging the system file (emerge system) but one particular file would always fail with a 404 not found from all the mirrors.

I decided to just go with a stage3 tarball and skip all that but now I'm having issues emerging metalogger and things of that sort. It goes through a lot of mirrors with an error of something to the effect of "Address not in family...blah blah blah". I'm typing from memory since my laptop isn't within range. It also likes to hang in certain areas such as "HTTP request sent, waiting for response" and everything. Somethings CTRL+C and then emerging again works, but sometimes not, like right now which is why I'm posting.

Is there anything I can do? Find more mirrors or is there something configured wrong? Are all the gentoo mirrors dead or something? For your information, I did run mirrorselect when the manual specified too and it went fine in doing so. Any help here is appreciated and I would love for a speedy response so I can get on with my happy Gentoo days. :)
melchiorus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update. I noticed the livecd I was booting off of was 2004.2 which probably had an old mirrors list so I got the new one and decided to bootstrap this time. I let it run over night and when I woke up this morning I was very dissapointed to see another hanging 404 message.

Code:

Downloading http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp/gcc3_3_2/protector-3.3.2-2.tar.gz
--07:19:10-- http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp/gcc3_3_2/protector-3.3.2-2.tar.gz
       => '/usr/portage/distfiles/protector-3.3.2-2.tar.gz'
Resolving www.research.ibm.com... 129.34.20.3
Connecting to www.research.ibm.com[129.34.20.3]:80... connected
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
07:19:10 ERROR: 404 Not Found.

!!! Couldn't download protector-3.3.2-2.tar.gz. Aborting.

It tried a few other mirrors as well but that was the bottom most one. Since I have to type all of this over from my laptop's screen, there may be a few typos. Does anyone have ANY ideas what's going on? I installed this perfectly about a month ago... What can I do?
electronique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used mirrorselect comment out the GENTOO_MIRRORS line in /etc/make.conf to use the default selection, I too had this issue and this fixed it.
melchiorus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great, thanks! This worked out perfectly for me! Back to my good old Gentoo days. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: