newest binutils & libtool breaks vanilla 2.6.9 kernel bu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flabbah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: newest binutils & libtool breaks vanilla 2.6.9 kernel bu Reply with quote

I just did an emerge -uD world, which dragged in:
sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r7
sys-devel/binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r3

and now, a I can't compile a 2.6.9 vanilla kernel. I didn't post this in the kernel group, because I don't think this is a problem with the kernel. It compiled fine until I emerged.

I get this:

<snip>
CC init/version.o
LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 139

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Spiffster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I got exactly the same on my laptop.

Compiling the kernel (2.6.9-gentoo-r4) gives me:
Code:

LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 139

Same versions of binutils and libtool, but I also tried some older binutils, without luck. Any suggestions are welcome.

/spiff
Spiffster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Also with 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 Reply with quote

What really nags me is that all the references I've found to "error 139" (which by the way seems to be gcc segfaulting) seems to suggest using an older binutils. Unfortunately the one I've seen mentioned is no longer in portage.

Even more strange: I have recently upgraded my workstation with almost identical config, and had no problems compiling 2.4.9-gentoo-r4.

I've seen suggestions of out-of-memory problems, but my laptop has 512MB and 1GB swap, so it seems implausible.

Could it be related to the processor (pentium-M)??

/spiff
ysg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Try different CFLAGS Reply with quote

I encountered a similar problem on my Thinkpad X40. After emerging the new binutils, I could compile the kernel but the new kernel would keep rebooting just after the "uncompressing kernel...".

I had used "-march=pentium3 -msse2" in my CFLAGS so since I had no trouble with the new binutils on my desktop machine, I thought maybe these flags could have caused the problem. I reinstalled from scratch, built a binary package with the older binutils just in case I needed to restore the working binutils, and then changed my CFLAGS back to the default one without those flags I mentioned. Built the new binutils, built the kernel, everything works now.
flabbah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled binutils with -O2 (instead of -O3, which I previously had), and everything worked.

Another thread mentioned using -O2.

-Flab
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: