suggestions [SOLVED 50%]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: suggestions [SOLVED 50%] Reply with quote

One of the reasons I am trying Gentoo is that support for my sound card and other MM is limited out of the box in SuSE, I believe.

I have a MX300 sound card, which still is quite under SuSE 9.0. The other issue is the lack of DVD move support. These appear to be more likely in Gentoo.

I would like to do some video editing, not under Windoze, and though my camera, a JVC gr-DVM70, is a nice camera the AVI format is a pain even under Windoze. I'd like to be able to save video under video cd rather than tape.

Any comments? Or am I hoping for too much.

The comment has been made that AutoCAD will run under Wine, but not under SuSE 9.0. Has anyone had experience in Gentoo?

Thanks.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

Last edited by A.S. Pushkin on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
tudorv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
I would like to do some video editing, not under Windoze, and though my camera, a JVC gr-DVM70, is a nice camera the AVI format is a pain even under Windoze. I'd like to be able to save video under video cd rather than tape.

I've had a good experience with Kino for capturing video from the camcorder, very straightforward to use. The camcorder was a Canon, connected to the PC through Firewire.

For editing, depending on your requirements, you might want to have a look at Kino, avidemux, cinelerra (all in portage). A word of caution about cinelerra: I couldn't get it to compile unless I disabled MMX (USE="-mmx").

I know nothing about creating VCDs, but I'm sure it's possible.

Hope this helps,
Tudor
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: VCD Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. All that will be helpful I'm sure.

I recall seeing some apps for creating VCDs that is why I mention them.

Yes, I think I'm going to like Gentoo. As with Linux there is a learning curve, but I think I will be a convert.

Thanks again for the info particulalry on Cinnelerra. I had installed BCAST2000, but due to my video format was nver able to do anything. I had heard the successor was better, but SuSE did not include it so I have no idea what to expect. Still I'll give those a try.

Thanks.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: suggestions [SOLVED 50%] Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I have some positive feedback on status of this questrion.

I have not really given the camera and software too much attention, but from time to time I do try it.
Last weekend I realized I had downloaded dvgrab, but had never installed it. So I did. On 21March I gave it try.
Surprise! the camera FF, RW, play, etc. Yesterday I rea;ized it would even capture.

gscanbus has worked in a limited manner, but always locks up after a time.

I decided to give Kino another try. I had to play with the ieee1394 setting a wee bit before I realized it actually was seeing the camera.
Audio is a bit choppy and even some video, though I wonder if this might be from the original video shoot.

In any event, those my experience with Kino is very early it appears to fully support the video side of the camera; FX, edit, timreline, etc.

The firewire card I bought last summer was a good choice. I can not name to model right off, but it is a SIIG and includes these features:
rtl-8169 Gigabit ethernet
ieee1394a firewire
ieee1394b firewire

It does include an internal port as well.
I do not use the NIC at this time, but it is recognized and I selected this card for the day I am able to get DSL, cable, or more probably, a county wide WiFi comes in to my area. 128k is not dsl, but better than my dialup and free!

BTW, the reason I say [SOLVED 50%] is that I still seem to be unable to access the digital still side of the camera from linux. It is not USB, serial, so gphoto2 does not seem to support it. Should anyone reading this post haven idea about this aspect of this camera PM me. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: