Gentoo Linux Documenation: Hard to Print Colored Text
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux Documenation: Hard to Print Colored Text Reply with quote

I have a question about the standards that are followed when formatting web pages for publication in the Documentation pages on the Gentoo site.

The color formatting is very helpful when viewing the information onscreen, but at times the colored text makes it very difficult to print-out the doucmentation.

The printable views of the documentation do help to optimally format the docs to fit the printed page, but the readability of the text suffers dramatically during the color rendering stage on some printers. On a black and white LaserJet, for example, some of the colored text becomes completely unreadable. Its hard to recover from this sort of problem if your printer driver doesn not allow you to change the way colors are interpreted during the printing stage.

So I was wondering if the standards for Gentoo documentation have ever taken into account whether color considerations should be made when formatting the text for printing. In my case, I'm using an HP LaserJet and the coloration of the text causes much of the information in the documentation to "drop out."

I was just wondering if this problem has ever cropped up before, and options are available toward solving the problem. Perhaps removing coloration from the print-optomized version of the web page, or even creating a second print-optomized version of the page for non-color printers would be helpful.
gentsquash
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux Documenation: Hard to Print Colored Text Reply with quote

I concur with Bob P

Bob P wrote:
...The color formatting is very helpful when
viewing the information onscreen, but at times the colored text
makes it very difficult to print-out the doucmentation.

Perhaps removing coloration from the print-optomized version of
the web page, or even creating a second print-optomized version
of the page for non-color printers would be helpful.

I would hope for the "second print-optimized version", but
keeping color in the "?style=printable" version.

Because of my eyesight, when reading online [e.g, the Handbook] I
greatly magnify the text and use "?style=printable" so that the
text will linebreak to very short lines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: