View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a take on my exprerience from the CVS ebuild already in portage.

I emerged phoenix-cvs, which compiled fine, but running phoenix immediately quit back to the command prompt with no error messages (as both root and user). I also tried running "export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=./; ./phoenix" from within /usr/lib/phoenix, to no avail.

So, I proceeded to do as many in this thread suggested:
1) unmerge phoenix-cvs (note that at this point I have no phoenix NOR mozilla packages on my system what so ever).
2) wipe out /usr/lib/phoenix (there was still tons of crap there after I unmerged phoenix-cvs).
3) reemerged phoenix-cvs

After doing the above, everything works excellent! I DID NOT have to remove ~/.phoenix or any such folder, nor would I want to, because I have extensive preferences, booksmarks etc. saved within phoenix.

Also note that I am running the GTK2 version of phoenix, meaning I emerged with:
Code:

WANT_GTK2="yes" expmerge phoenix-cvs

where "expmerge" is an alias for 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge'

While running the GTK2 version, the fonts and everything are from my GTK2 theme, and everything is gorgeous. AA is most excellent! I've also noticed that the menus are indeed slower than the GTK1 version, and the page scrolling is slower in updating, but it is handled well and is not a problem even in the slightest (it's actually smoother, but at first glance seems slower coming from the GTK1 version of phoenix). I think this may be due to the option "general.smoothScroll" in about:config (type that into the url to see a configuration sheet).

Also, in reference to tom's post a few pages back, while running the GTK2 version I definately have the ability to scroll using PgUp, PgDown, and the arrows.

While phoenix is using GTK2, the scroll bars are not GTK2, they are from whatever theme I am running in phoenix. This is fine, it looks great anyway, but I have been unable to find the option in about:config (if there is one) for changing this behavior. Floam suggested a few pages back,

Quote:
the scrollbar uses chrome not gtk, if you go into about:config and turn gfx scrollbars off (or on, whatever the default isnt) itll use the gtk one

Although I was unable to find an option fitting his description. Perhaps someone can post what the option is.

On another note, my flash plugins etc. work flawlessly. No crashing or odd behavior. I have yet to try mplayer-plugin.

EDIT: Any preference change I make through tools|options is definately not saved. This is similar to the problems some other users are having.
nbrown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did run it as root a few times to install some extensions (still can't figure out how to do that as a normal user). So I guess that's how things got messed up.

-Nate
relyt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbrown wrote:
I did run it as root a few times to install some extensions (still can't figure out how to do that as a normal user). So I guess that's how things got messed up.

It is strange, I hope they get the extensions thing fixed some day. I am also not experiencing an inability to save preferences. Maybe it's some bug from after my last emerge (4/24).
Gnufsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my preferences being forgotten also. Flash seems to work fine, but I can't seem to get acrobat reader working as a plugin.
boolean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone else having problems with phoenix/firebird responsiveness? as of late it's been pretty slow for me. opening a new tab will take a few seconds, etc..

is this how cvs is (or was a week ago when i built it)?

how are you guys finding it to be running?
wudrum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone else have the problem that when right-clicking to perform a mouse gesture in phoenix, the right-click context menu immediately pops up and interferes w/ the gesture??? this is not the behavior of right-click menus in the windows version of phoenix (or anywhere in windows actually) and it is IMMENSELY annoying...so much so that I must use opera instead of phoenix in linux in order to enjoy browsing w/ mouse gestures!! :?

if anyone knows how to prevent this (sadly, i suspect it's hard-coded into gtk and gtk2, as compiling with either one as the default toolkit leaves me w/ the same problem...they should REALLY change that) or is able to use phoenix mouse gestures without this problem please post! :)
thanks
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you emerged phoenix-cvs in the past couple of days it may not start. That is due to the launch script. Edit /usr/bin/phoenix and on line 16 change phoenix to MozillaFirebird.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noff: I had the same issue, thanks.

Another issue I noticed...Clicking on the home button takes me to mozilla.org regardless of what I set the homepage to in preferences. Sort of annoying since the bookmarks aren't working.

BTW, I compiled from cvs today (5/15).
RoguexWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: MozillaFirebird Reply with quote

noff wrote:
If you emerged phoenix-cvs in the past couple of days it may not start. That is due to the launch script. Edit /usr/bin/phoenix and on line 16 change phoenix to MozillaFirebird.

Thank you for pointing this out.. I was kinda miffed at first on why it wasnt working but everything was there..

I also changed line18 phoenix -remote to MozillaFirebird -remote Just incase..

but once again thanks for pointing this out.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebird 0.6 out!!
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mempo,

your great ebuild unfortunately contains two (new) errors, both in src_install():
1) you still call dodir ${PHOENIX_PATH} instead of dodir ${FIREBIRD_PATH}
2) you said to name the calling script MozillaFirebird but try to copy mozillafirebird (Hey, this is not Windoze :wink: )

Ciao,
Michael
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the two changes mjoswig mentioned, the new ebuild worked fine for me, with and without GTK2 support.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjoswig wrote:
mempo,

your great ebuild unfortunately contains two (new) errors, both in src_install():
2) you said to name the calling script MozillaFirebird but try to copy mozillafirebird (Hey, this is not Windoze :wink: )

Ciao,
Michael

Maybe I'm just tired or something but #2 is not getting through my head, can you expand alittle on what the problem is.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i try to emerge the ebiold of this thread i get
Quote:
root@foo:/usr/local/portage/net-www/mozillafirebird-cvs> emerge mozillafirebird-cvs-0.6.2003.05.18.ebuild
Calculating dependencies ...done!

!!! Error: the >=x11-base/xfree-4.3-r2 package conflicts with this package and both can't be installed on the same system tether.
root@foo:/usr/local/portage/net-www/mozillafirebird-cvs>

do i have to downgrade xfree?
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
mjoswig wrote:
mempo,

Ciao,
Michael

Maybe I'm just tired or something but #2 is not getting through my head, can you expand alittle on what the problem is.

case sensitive

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just a matter of the capital M and F. As I wrote: We are not talking Windows here :wink:
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emerged MozillaFirebird 0.6, and I still have the problem where my preferences aren't saved from the preference window.... I can't enable javascript! Grr!
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remove your old .phoenix directory?
Check the permissions of the directories and files.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wiped ~/.phoenix and ran MozillaFirebird, letting it create a new ~/.phoenix for me. Even then, changing java preferences etc. in Tools|Options will not turn on java or javascript; I changed javascript=on in about:config, which worked, but upon restart, javascript once again did not work (but the about:config option for javascript was still "True").

Very strange. I'm also reinstalling firebird, as I downloaded the optimoz gesture and tab browser extensions and firebird will no longer run (as root or user) due to an error message in a dialog box upon startup:
Quote:

Fatal error: could not identify overlayed window in windowTypes.rdf

GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having problems with the CVS lately... nothing happens after this line, it doesn't fetch the CVS tree, just sits there... it's been like this for a few days and I've left the emerge open for an hour and still nothing... Any ideas? I thought it might have been a port on my firewall that was closed but gaim-cvs still works for me fine...

bash-2.05b# emerge phoenix-cvs-0.5-r2.ebuild
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-www/phoenix-cvs-0.5-r2 to /
>>> Unpacking source...
* Checking out latest Mozilla from CVS...
* [ mozilla/browser & mozilla/toolkit ]
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because Firebird 0.6 was just released, and the Mozilla CVS servers are down for the time being (either they had to do some maintenance, or are overtrafficked). You can download the firebird 0.6 ebuilds from bugs.gentoo.org, unless they've been officially released already, because firebird 0.6 should be equivalent CVS is right now.
greywolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reformist wrote:
the Mozilla CVS servers are down for the time being (either they had to do some maintenance, or are overtrafficked)

I've been having cvs problems too, I hoped it was such a server problem (preferable to my own stupidity anyway :lol: ) but I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere; where sould I have been looking?
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any official mention, but I've seen it all over the fora. Also, in my above post, the firebird-killing error is indeed caused by installing the optimoz mouse gesture extension, so be cautius if you want to try and install that package (nighly build, "works with phoenix 0.6" quote unquote..).

Killed my build twice now......
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay CVS servers are working for me again, I'm going to emerge MozillaFirebird.ebuild once it's officially released, until then phoenix-cvs for me :P.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 20 of 25

Jump to: