View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: KDE never finishes to load except for root Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm really stuck on this one!

I've been using KDE 3.1-rc3 for a few weeks now, without any problems. This morning (close to 12 hours ago), I did an "emerge rsync" followed by an "emerge -p world", which showed a lot of updated packages (around 10), including glibc. I found it odd since I emerged world only a few days ago.

Anyway, I didn't think much about it, so I "emerge world" and off to work I go. When I get back here, emerge had completed it's job, so I proceeded to log back into KDE as usual. Everything seems ok except KDE stops at "loading window manager" (about halfway throught the icons on the KDE splash screen). If I let it continue, the splash screen eventually go away, but it's still stuck at the same place.

I unmerged a few things I merged this morning, such as glibc; no improvement. Maybe it's a config file in my home directory, so I create a brand new user; no improvement.

If I log on as root, however, everything works fine. I can start gaim as my other user and it works fine. KMail, on the other hand, loads fine (again "running as" my other user), except when I ask it to retreive my mail (POP3), it says "Could not start process POP3". When I start Konqueror as my other user, it says "Could not start process Can't talk to klauncher".

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!

Thanks everyone!

PS: I'm currently emerging KDE 3.1rc5 just in case. Other than that, all I can think of is *gasp* format and re-install.
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. make a note of your user id #, group id #, and any groups you belong to. Delete your user name but NOT your home directory. Then recreate your user name.
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try this. make a note of your user id #, group id #, and any groups you belong to. Delete your user name but NOT your home directory. Then recreate your user name.

No improvement... :(
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black wrote:
Quote:

No improvement... :(

I had the same problem and that is what worked for me. Although I did an emerge system before that. The problem has something to do with permissions. I use xdm not kdm to start kde because kdm has a problem.
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had the same problem and that is what worked for me. Although I did an emerge system before that. The problem has something to do with permissions. I use xdm not kdm to start kde because kdm has a problem.

I'll try again starting with an "emerge system" once KDE r5 finishes emerging (hmmm, tomorrow morning?).

RIght now, if I start xdm instead of kdm, I get asked my username/password, and then I have to tell what widgets I want (!?!?!?!). I select default/safe because that's the only choice I have (others are grayed out). Then I get to the gray background with the X mouse cursor, as when starting XWindow, but I don't get any farther.

So I'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the permissions on /tmp and your user's home directory? And what is your user's login shell?
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the permissions on /tmp and your user's home directory

"ll /tmp -d" returns:
drwxrwxrwt 99 root root 3696 Dec 10 22:03 /tmp

"ll /home" returns:
drwx------ 30 black users 1880 Dec 10 22:01 black

Quote:
And what is your user's login shell?

"cat /etc/passwd|grep black" returns:
black:x:1000:100::/home/black:/bin/bash

Looks good to me! About the permissions on the home directory: yes, I did put a UMASK=077 myself. It's been this way ever since I installed Gentoo, around a month ago. That user (black) is also in the wheel and audio groups.

As for the partitions, as per the Gentoo install guide, I've got a small boot partition, a swap, and a big fat root partition.
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, how about the permissions of the files in the TMP dir? might wanna check that.

Code:
ls -la /tmp

just wipe it clean! :P
phunkphorce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: KDE never finishes to load except for root Reply with quote

Black wrote:
Everything seems ok except KDE stops at "loading window manager" (about halfway throught the icons on the KDE splash screen). If I let it continue, the splash screen eventually go away, but it's still stuck at the same place.

Well I had a problem which sounds quite similar. In my case, loading kde also used to get stuck while showing the splash screen. I tried to go to the text console to see what kde was doing and the starkde script (I think it was that one) was waiting for confirmation for the removal of a file (something like): "remove .kde.backup/?" After saying "Y", everything would continue where it had stopped.

However, that only happend when kde was manually started from the command line. I didn't have the same problem when starting it from kdm 8O I don't know how I fixed it, though, but you might want to check if you're in the same situation.
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Problem solved by installing rc5 Reply with quote

Okay everyone, thanks for your help!

rc5 finished emerging this morning (966 minutes, Celeron 1.7, 512MB RAM ECC), and everything is back to normal. Must have been a messed up permission or maybe I accidently deleted a file. Guess I'll never really know, but at least it's working now! :)

Thanks again!
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem exactly - kde-3.0.4 hangs when loading the windowmanager. I have tried recreating the user and I checked the permissions of /tmp. No luck finding the problem.

perhaps unrelated, I am mounting my /home over NFS with the 'nolock' option. Also, I have no sound card.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Xfree's output to stderr:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
is unresolved!
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
is unresolved!
(II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit
DCOPServer up and running.
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-3)
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-15903' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-15906' to 'klipper'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 9 object references alive.
- Arts::SampleStorage
- Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
- Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
- Arts::Synth_PLAY
- Arts::StereoVolumeControl
- Arts::StereoEffectStack
- Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
- Arts::SoundServerV2
- Arts::MidiManager
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 74 types alive.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: