console screensaver?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: console screensaver? Reply with quote

Kind of a silly request, I know, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any screensaver type apps for a console-only system. I recently cobbled together some old parts to make a gentoo server, and would like something similar to the screensaver I had with my last FreeBSD box.

Any ideas would be appreciated

gwydion
Linux User #223670
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

emerge cmatrix

It's a matrix screensaver clone. That's the only console screensaver that I've looked for/found; i.e., I looked no farther.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: console screensaver? Reply with quote

gwydion wrote:
Kind of a silly request, I know, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any screensaver type apps for a console-only system. I recently cobbled together some old parts to make a gentoo server, and would like something similar to the screensaver I had with my last FreeBSD box.

Any ideas would be appreciated

gwydion

Why have you left your FreeBSD box and moved to Gentoo?

MACPRO machine...
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using linux for a few years now, starting with Redhat 5.x then tried Mandrake 5.2(?), used SuSE for quite a while, and finally graduated to slack. Obviously, I've never found the right one, the one that I truly felt was "the" distribution as it should be - the closest was definitely slackware. I had installed FreeBSD just to try it out, and I must say I didn't like it - stuff wasn't where it was "supposed" to be :P In all honesty, I will say that I was lazy as well; I didn't want to bother to take the time to learn the nuances between linux and *BSD - didn't think they'd be as obvious, I guess.

Mind if I ask why you ask? :)

gwydion
Linux User #223670
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should add, or clarify, that Gentoo so far does indeed appear to be "the" distribution. Slackware was very close to what I've found with Gentoo - a kind of 'no guts no glory' 'get in up to your elbows' mentality. Gentoo takes it just one step further and adds the full processor optimisations and customisability that I just couldn't get as easily with slack
Linux User #223670
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: