NTP screen blanking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmy!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: NTP screen blanking Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Not urgent really, but every time ntpd syncs itself (at least I'm 99% sure that's what it is), my screen goes blank (in KDE) for a few seconds, which, needless to say, is very annoying when right then you're trying to convince a friend of how linux is more stable than XP :D

Anyone else had the same problem / know how to fix it?
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought - try to disable screen saver. if the time gets changed, it's possible that KDE thinks that the computer has been idle for some period of time. it could help...
madmango
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. The console blanking is a funtion of the power management in the kernel, not the screensaver. (well, actually, it can be both, but usually the kernel)

NTP shouldn't be synching that much of a difference to matter that much.
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

original poster has been talking about KDE and screensaver in KDE does have ability to put screen into DPMS standby or how-is-that-thing-called. and he also wrote abou thuge clock skew in other thread, afaik.
timmy!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm not in linux at the moment; I'll try the screensaver thing when I next boot into it.

However, it's not really a power-management sort of blank screen; the various lights and so forth that normally change colour when KDE puts it into standby don't change, and the backlight (it's a TFT) is still on. It just seems that for like 2-3 seconds the NTP update is somehow interfering with the display drivers or something.

Incidentally, the clock skew is now fixed and has been since the merging of ntp -- this happens every time ntp syncs, which now has an absolutely tiny time correction.

Sorry to be awkward :)
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop ntp-client and ntpd, set wrong time manually, restart ntp-client and ntpd.
gnubie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi timmy,

I have the same problem!!! I have moved from a router to a dialup modem while router is being fixed (a long story). Of couse it takes a while for the modem to get online and when ntp was run at startup, it wasnt connected to the net yet.

So when I run /etc/init.d/ntp-client restart manually once im in gnome, it blanks my screen, starts the screensaver (and also skips to the next track in amarok!!!). Ive been doing some inverstigation and I find that if i kill xscreensaver nothing happens.

This problem may've been going on ever since ive had it installed because when using a router ntp got the correct time, but X wasnt running at that stage so it couldnt start the screensaver.

My friend with a gentoo machine does not have this problem

Its more of an annoyance than anything else

If anyone has a solution, I would be very thankful. I am going to try running kscreensvaer instead of xscreensaver and see if it changes it

Dave
Use any information on this page at your own risk. This means that if the use of any of the information on this page would fry your computer, kill your pet, inspire you to join terrorists organisations or suicidal cults, I would not be responsible.
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnubie wrote:
If anyone has a solution, I would be very thankful. I am going to try running kscreensvaer instead of xscreensaver and see if it changes it

There is no solution except patching your screenserver's code to not run if the change in time was "too quick". I wouldn't bother with that, though.

Česká dokumentace
gnubie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Im using rdate now and that seems to work fine, until i get my router back anyway

Dave
Use any information on this page at your own risk. This means that if the use of any of the information on this page would fry your computer, kill your pet, inspire you to join terrorists organisations or suicidal cults, I would not be responsible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: