Please explain 32 bit chroot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Please explain 32 bit chroot Reply with quote

Ok, the way I understand it, 32 bit binaries will work fine in a 64 bit environment provided IA32 emulation... all that jazz is working.

What I don't get is the 32 bit chroot environment. Do you hop in there to compile 32 bit applications and then copy the binaries over to the 64 bit environment?

And... is 64 bit worth all the headaches I'm bound to have? Thanks.

Travers
jdevers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem comes when you have programs that run within other programs (I run a pure 64 bit environment for now, but this should be pretty close to what others do). For instance, you need the 64 bit version of flash to watch flash anims in Firefox, well, there ISN'T a 64 bit version of flash so you have to have a 32 bit version of Firefox so you can use the 32 bit version of flash. The same thing applies to other programs like Mplayer, the dependancies can get tricky (or so I've heard) and so it is sometimes easier to just have a complete 32 bit environment (especially with a source based distro like Gentoo) you can chroot into.

I don't have any real problems at all in by 64 bit environment, but I also could care less about Flash animation or new .WMV videos. All of my hardware is completely supported and it seems to be rock solid and lightning fast...
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people run a 64 bit environment and when they want to do something that requires 32 bit, they hop in their 32 bit environment? That really sucks. For instance, I'm using ndiswrapper... I'd have to flip into 32 bit to use my integrated wireless on my laptop. Yikes! But I'm in the market for a PCMCIA wifi card, like a tried and true Prism 2. Darn, I'm a poet and didn't know it. Any suggestions for a PCMCIA 802.11 card? Take a guess what I'm going to do with that. =) BTW, ndiswrapper runs fantastic, hats off to the developers.

Travers
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travers wrote:
So people run a 64 bit environment and when they want to do something that requires 32 bit, they hop in their 32 bit environment? That really sucks. For instance, I'm using ndiswrapper... I'd have to flip into 32 bit to use my integrated wireless on my laptop. Yikes! But I'm in the market for a PCMCIA wifi card, like a tried and true Prism 2. Darn, I'm a poet and didn't know it. Any suggestions for a PCMCIA 802.11 card? Take a guess what I'm going to do with that. =) BTW, ndiswrapper runs fantastic, hats off to the developers.

Travers

You cannot under any circumstances run ndiswrapper on a 64-bit system, because ndiswrapper is a kernel module, not a user-space application. You can only run user-space apps in a chrooted environment.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch that madwifi-driver works under amd64 in a pure 64-bit environment - however, the current ebuild in portage won't install atm.

So if you're in the market right now, get an atheros based chipset in your wifi card :)
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atm?
z3ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travers wrote:
atm?

At the moment.
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nope, you don't need a 32bit chroot for anything (in theory). I have 32bit Flash, a 32bit MPlayer (with win32codecs), 32bit Softimage|XSI, Cedega, Wine etc working, everything without a chroot. You just need the emul-linux-x86-* packages installed, and if you need some 32bit libs not in the gentoo emul ebuilds, grab a RH9 or SUSE 9 RPM (RPM's for more recent distros should work, too)...
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting so much mixed information about 64 bit perhaps I'm just not getting it. Oh well, I've got a partition with x86_64's name on it.
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that 32-bit apps just had to be compiled in the 32-bit chroot, e.g. set up the 32-bit chroot, within that 32-bit chrooted environment emerge the 32-bit apps that you need, exit the 32-bit chroot, and run the new apps. Yes :D or no :cry:.
Travers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem was that 32 bit applications had dificulty compiling in 64 bit. So, you would have to use 32 bit binaries under your 64 bit. There don't seem to be any clear answers, so we're dealing with alot of uncharted territory.

I think the largest problem is dependencies. A 32 bit application looking to a 64 bit library is obviously going to cause some trouble.

Here's my 64 bits: Two partitions, one 32, one 64, full 32 install so you have something to fall back on, then play around with 64.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: