View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSpacer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Upgrade to Gnome 2.8 user accounts won't start Reply with quote

After doing an upgrade to Gnome 2.8 I'm now no longer able to log in to my user account.

Root logs in fine, which I'm using now. Using Xnest I was able to figure out that there was an .xsession-errors file that I could use.

Here's the output from the file. I've seen a few reports of this. But, none of the threads really pointed me in any direction that was useful. My settings appear to be right so far as the Gnome configuration FAQ is concerned.

Code:
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:20.Xservers" -h "" -l ":20" "dan"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

(gnome-session:6874): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 
Lotu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not telling whether you're trying to log in with a graphical login manager or in console mode. If you've only tried the graphic login, press ctrl-alt-f1 to enter a console mode (ctrl-alt-f7 is probably correct for returning).

Basically the error comes when a program doesn't have rights to access X. If you're able to log in in text mode, give the following command as a normal user:

xhost +local: (and note the colon after +local. Also +localhost: and +local:localhost have been reported to work.)

and then ctrl-alt-f7 and try to log in graphically. If this helps, put the following line to /root/.bashrc

eval 'cp /home/$LOGNAME/.Xauthority /root

and things should work.

If any of this didn't work, repost or try the forum search (and only then google). Possible solutions to most error messages (including this one) can be found there.

I'm an evil homosexual communist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: