How much DVD video can fit on a CD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravo911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: How much DVD video can fit on a CD? Reply with quote

I know this one is a big can of worms... I'm new to the digital imaging world, so please bear with me... I've just got a Samsung SCD-23 Digital Camcorder, and I have sucessfully managed to get to the point where I can capture my video from the camera into Kino, mess with my scenes, add effects, and all that fun stuff (however i'm looking for some good plugins for kino!). Now I would like to transfer my newly edited masterpiece onto a CD in a format that will simply play in any dvd player. Due to my lack of knowledge of this sort of thing, I'm not sure if this is even possible, let alone practical, but i'll try anyhow. I simply do not have a DVD Burner, but I do have a CD burner... If it is indeed possible to take the regular files that you would normally see on a DVD and just put them on a CD instead? Obviously the CD will hold far less video if this is the case, i kow the difference in storage capacity is huge, but how much DVD video could I expect to get with only 700Mb?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
gärtner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK its not possible to put 'real' dvd-like files on cd and play them. What you can do is build a VCD (Video CD) or a SVCD (Super-...). Most DVD-Players today are able to play VCD's, some even can handle SVCDs. On a VCD you can put up to ~70 min. Video in mpeg1 format. With SVCD you can (not sure) put mpeg2 on it and have a higher bitrate (less minutes). SO the best for you would be to search a bit around about VCDs and then try it out on the DVD-Players you like.

If its not mandatory to be playable on standalone DVD-Players you could use som 'better' codec like divX, xVid or other mpeg4-derivatives.

Gärtner

PS: i don't know kino, but probably theres an option to build a VCD instead of a DVD, so have a look there first (this is easier than build one by hand ;-) ).
SuperJudge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the minimum possible settings for DVD video, which tmpgenc calls "MiniDVD" and fit ~25 minutes of video on a cd in 9660 Mode 1. I guess that could be useful sometime, but you'd need something to master the mpeg file into a .vob file that has a .ifo to accompany it.