View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: XFCE 4.2 RC1 - Font size issue [solved] Reply with quote

Hey,

I just tried out the latest XFCE and I have to say I am truly impressed by the progress made by XFCE. If I can configure it properly, I may even stop using gnome and switch...

But I have had a problem with font sizes. I am using the same fonts (Bitstream vera sans regular 8) as I am in gnome but they appear bigger on my screen... I thought, I was just mistaken but I had confirmation when I tried to launch gdeskcal: my custom skin is now totally off since the fonts are slightly bigger. I'm guessing this has to do with the screen dpi setting (if this is used to go from font size to rendering). Does anyone have the same issue and knows how to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Catkfr

Last edited by catkfr on Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a little digging, I found what the problem was. Gnome was set to use 96 dpi for the applications but did not set the dpi for xorg which was computed by xorg as 111dpi. This was used by gdeskcal and the font were sized after this.

Apparently, xfce did more or less the opposite and used a higher dpi for the applications (the one of xorg) but a lower one was used by gdeskcal (I really don't know why)...

Anyways, after looking a little bit, I found out how to set everything straight and set the dpi to 96 dpi everywhere.

Here's how to do it: run
Code:
xdyinfo
and check what the dpi is on your system (somewhere at the top).

Edit your xorg.conf and add to your monitor section the following line
Code:
DisplaySize 370.0 277.0
where the values are the ones found in xdpyindo scaled to reach your targeted dpi setting (in my case 96dpi).

If you run x using the startx command, you can also run
Code:
startx -- -dpi 96
and the run xdypinfo and look at the displaysize values to set. Xorg does some rounding so you may need to tweak these values by a mm to get exactly 96x96 dpi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: