No sound using alsa intel8x0 on a i845 chipset
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: No sound using alsa intel8x0 on a i845 chipset Reply with quote

Title waschanged from: "i845 => alsa driver is intel8x0? = no sound :("

I've got a Compaq Evo W4000 Workstation with a i845 chipset and intergrated sound.

I've gone through the Gentoo ALSA doc:
Code:
env ALSA_CARDS='emu10k1' emerge alsa-driver

and everything emerges fine (utils, alsa-oss etc), alsasound starts during startup etc etc.. BUT, i'm not getting any sound. I've tried aplay with wavefiles, I've tried MP3 with mpg123, but nothing. amixer was run according to the docs to unmute the channels, and also alsamixer was run to verify the settings. Still no sound. Could it be that it is another alsa driver? not intel8x0? I can't think it is though, the modules loads just fine and no errors..

In Windows the sounddriver is referred to as SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, if that is of any relevance..

Update: the "code" text above should of course say env ALSA_CARDS='intel8x0' emerge alsa-driver. I was just a bit too quick to post, copy-pasting from the docs.

Last edited by Joffer on Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
sebgarden
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably missed the point (RTFM once again :) ): emul0kl has to be replaced with the name of your driver. Follow the link alsa sound matrix and you will be able to find the name of your alsa sound driver: snd-intel8x0; don't be disturbed by the title: your card is not in the table but the unified intel driver does the work for yours also.

;)

Regards,
Sébastien.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I did of course replace 'emul0kl' with 'intel8x0'. The text above was just a typo, it was me in a hurry copy-pasting from the docs to show what I did..

But anyways, what you say just comply with what I thought to be correct, that I should use the intel8x0 driver. And perhaps I should go through the alsa doc once more just to be sure.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to bug the forum.. but I simply can't get any sound when playing wav or mp3 (the only thing I've tried so far).

Trying to play a wav file with aplay (as alsa-doc said) and also mp3 with mpg123. I can't get any sound. I've unmuted and raised the volume, both in console and in X (gnome).

I'm using the intel8x0 alsa driver, and done everything the alsa-doc says (twice to be sure I'm doing it correct).

This is frustrating. Any command I should run to get more information to this thread? That can help any of you help me diagnostic this problem?
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Finally. I fixed it. Strange solution though. I got the tip from this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27928

What was "wrong" was that the "Headphones" setting in alsamixer was muted. When I unmuted it everything went fine. So the tip for people who have problems getting any sound, but the drivers seems to work, is to start playing some music, like 'mpg123 somefile.mp3' and then start alsamixer (in another console perhaps) and unmute (press 'm') the each channel till you get sound. Remember to turn down the volume on your speakers and also a bit in also, so you won't hurt your ears and speakers, like I almost did, since all volume was at max!!
megalomax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU A BIG TIME JOFFER !!! Reply with quote

8O
Oh man, this kept me busy for some days now.
8)

I do have the exact same machine and couldn't figure out how to get a beep from it using alsa.

The muted headphone thing was the problem indeed!

Your the man, Joffer :P

BTW: the other guy who mentioned it in the first place...
holymacaroni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, it worked for me too after reading this post. funky, but at least i have sound now. thanks.
sarcaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: you fixed my i815 alsa prob Reply with quote

fixed for me too, after many days of head scratching.

THANKS!!!
Jerle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsa seems to mute odd things. I'm using the integrated SoundMax Cadenza on my intel board, and for me I had to unmute the 'Surround' Control.

In a pinch, you can always just try unmuting everything. That's what I did.
SuperV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: I'll be darned. Reply with quote

That was it for me too, a Dell GX150 with the i815 chipset, sure enough the headphones were muted. Good work tracking this one down...perhaps a secondary tip should go into the alsa doc on this one (unmute everything!)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: